My personal opinion is that ICE car manufacturers are doomed -...

1. 1,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 202
    My personal opinion is that ICE car manufacturers are doomed - almost all of them.

This is simply based on the issue of capital constraints - i.e. ICE vehicle manufacturers have so much capital tied up in their ICE manufacturing footprint and many have massive amounts of debt. Banks were willing to provide this debt on the basis of historic sales numbers/growth of the ICE vehicle industry. However, now that EV technology comes along, these ICE car manufacturers will be unable to invest even more capital and take on even more debt in order to establish an EV manufacturing capability.

All of this against a backdrop of collapsing ICE car sales - how will they pay back all that debt then?!?

This interesting article from a former head of Audi R&D - Peter Mertens - gives a slightly different insight as to why "There will be blood":

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/06/13/there-will-be-blood-peter-mertens-former-head-of-audi-rd-we-all-did-sleep/

If you consider how many jobs are tied to car manufacturing in Europe, the collapse of this industry will be far worse than COVID job losses, since the car industry's jobs will be permanently gone and the bank debt will not be recouped.

.... and that is even before autonomous driving will wipe out tens of millions of driver jobs in the not too distant future.

But not to worry, I am sure that our politicians are aware of the situation and are making careful plans for this EV transition!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.