It's pretty obvious that we will all be driving evs at some...

1. 35,438 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4

It's pretty obvious that we will all be driving evs at some point in the future so the tax system will have to change.

Fuel taxes will decline significantly and the money will have to be raised somehow. I'd say a distance traveled tax is the solution.

When and how government's implement that is anyone's guess.

Given that it is going to take a long time to completely electrify the fleet, I think it would be simpler to have one tax system. The question is , how do you do that >.Retro fitting a system onto older vehicles would be expensive and troublesome. Trying to get two systems ( fuel tax vs distance traveled levy ) to work might bias one over the other.

What I find interesting ( and disappointing ) is that it's a bit of an elephant in the room that the government won't talk about.

We have every state and territory in the country with a net zero target by 2050. And yet we have a PM telling us that evs " won't to tow your boat ".

Surely we should be having the discussion now about how we electrify our transport fleet, how we're going to power it and how we're going to pay for our roads ? It's a very important subject that includes all those aspects.

I think it's about time the conversation started .

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.