electricity meters rake in millions

1. 2,092 Posts.
    I just got notice from my supplier...new electricity charges up 11%.... supply charge up 28% from 4th Feb.

Electricity meters rake in millions

* Karen Collier
    * February 03, 2010 12:00AM

TENS of millions of dollars in extra GST will be raked in as Victorians grapple with soaring bills to pay for electricity smart meters.

Customers are being stung with annual supply charge increases of up to $150 a year to pay for the technology's statewide roll-out.

Companies recently started passing on the costs through higher fixed charges before the meters are even installed at properties, all with the approval of regulators.

The Herald Sun this week revealed some customers already equipped with the meters would also soon be punished with big price rises for using power during the day rather than late at night or on weekends.

Energy Minister Peter Batchelor said he would consider suspending the introduction of new "time of use" tariffs pending further investigation.

A University of Melbourne study warned higher supply fees, plus an expected wave of new tariffs that charge customers more for electricity in peak periods and less in low demand times, could leave some consumers $300 a year worse off.

Stay-at-home mums, carers, pensioners, the sick and disabled will be worst hit under the new electricity system, according to critics who are demanding more financial aid for battlers.

Society of St Vincent de Paul spokesman Gavin Dufty claimed households and small businesses slugged with soaring charges would deliver a GST windfall of at least $40 million over two years.

The goods and services tax is collected by the Federal Government and handed back to states through a complex grants system.

Lilydale pensioner Lee, who asked that her surname not be used, has padlocked her meter in protest at higher charges already flowing through to her bills.

She has pleaded for pensioners to be spared in a letter to Premier John Brumby. "I can't go to my grave just whingeing and not trying to do anything about it," she said.

The Government will today announce a customer working group to report on the financial impact of smart meters, and $50,000 to help educate vulnerable people about the system.

The meters, which record energy use every half hour and can be read remotely rather than manually, will be in all households by 2013. The Government insists they offer eventual savings and benefits by giving families more control over energy use and bills.

But Opposition energy spokesman Michael O'Brien said the scheme should be stalled until the technology is cheaper or potential savings can be increased.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/electricity-meters-rake-in-millions/story-e6frf7jo-1225826081262

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.