ALD 1.04% $28.48 ampol limited

Corporate, Apologies for reverting only now, but I’ve been...

1. 450 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    Corporate,

Apologies for reverting only now, but I’ve been spending time away from a computer for a while.

Your asking about how I’ve modelled CTX’s financials, and I hope you won’t be disappointed when I say that there was nothing too scientific about it.

Because the thing I’m interested is Free Cash Flow, I simply took consensus EBITDA forecasts for FY15 (the first “clean”, full-year of CTX post-cessation of refining at Kurnell) as the starting point.

From this I constructed a crude, pro forma P&L for FY2015, as follows:

EBITDA = $925m (while this is what analysts are currently forecasting, I believe that once Kurnell is closed, CTX will be enjoying a far better product mix, and the resulting fuel distribution margin will actually surprise on the upside, so I believe that the scope and/or probability for FY2015 EBITDA to exceed $1.0bn is high; still, for the sake of prudence, I’ve used the consensus figure)

So:

EBITDA = $925m [consensus]
    Less: Depreciation and Amortisation = $200m [guidance from the company]

-> EBIT = $725m
    Less: Net Interest = $80m [Based on Average Net Debt of $900m]

-> Pre-Tax Profit = $645m
    Less: Tax = $160m

-> Net Profit After Tax = $480m

And hence, deriving a Cash Flow Statement

Operating Cash Flow (OCF) =

EBITDA
    Less: Interest Payments
    Less: Tax Payments
    Less: Change in Working Capital [Here I’ve taken a working capital investment equivalent to 5% of OCF...because CTX is not an aggressive revenue growth business, the working capital impost is expected to remain relatively constant over successive financial periods]

i.e. OCF = $925m - $80m - $160m = $650m
    Stay-in-Business Capex = $200m [Management guidance, and equal to depreciation]

So, that means Free Cash Flow of $650m - $200m = $450m

Ipso facto:
    - On a Market Cap of $5.0bn, that translates to a FCF Yield in excess of 9%, and
    - On an Enterprise Value of around $5.8 bn, the FCF yield is around 8%

I think the thing about financial modelling is that it is an inexact science, and should be considered as indicative, rather than prescriptive.

Often 90% of the answer is obtained by applying 10% of the maximum effort.

Sometimes I build financial models in greater detail, but in CTX’s case all I wanted to get a “feel” for was what the Free Cash Flow landscape might look like in 2015, once Kurnell is closed.

And because 2015 is a reasonably long time out trying to build an accurate financial model is a meaningless exercise given the exponential rate at which error risks rise the further out one tries to forecast.

Hope that is remotely helpful

Cam

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ALD (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.