not replying to your quote - just tacking on to the end of the...

1. 82,678 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    not replying to your quote - just tacking on to the end of the thread

this discussion is in an area which I am currently thinking a lot about - and, that is the differences in cultures - which I am currently experiencing and have been for a while.

there are several things in the culture of the Nation of which I am in atm - which I do not like.

But, there is a difference between not liking something and judging it to be right or wrong --

in short - who the hell am I to judge what is right or wrong??????? But, I sure can say that I do not like something or I like it.

I have been in Asia now for what must be about 5 months - and, one thing about some of Asia - is that you see a lot of things on TV that us poor dear little fluffy protected Aussies are not allowed to see on the screens in our lounge room.

A couple of times in the last weeks I have caught glimpses of what I would call extreme cruelty to animals ------------ not footage of the country I am in atm or was in weeks back - I suspect what I saw was from China - but, I am not certain.

One was a tiger that was in a hell of a state at the hands of a human handler - and, the other was a dog that was being beaten - I think before being killed for consumption

the dog thing - I just didn't want to look at - and, most certainly I did not like it -- and, most certainly, in Australia if I knew about that - I would judge it as wrong -

but, wherever it was -------- was it wrong?

Now, to me - every cell in my body says it's wrong - but, on which pedestal am I placed to judge this morally?

In Vietnam I often walked past a dog meat restaurant - but, I never ate dog - not because I think that eating dog is any worse than eating cow or pig or whatever we consider normal - but, just because I didn't need the experience. I have no idea how Vietnamese treat the animals at slaughter. Nor do I know that about the Thais - in which (Thailand) there are moves by the government to stop locals eating dog because they feel that Westerners do not like the idea and think that they are backward Asians.

I don't think that someone is backward if they eat dog - no more so than we with cow or pig -- but, I sure do think that they are backward for beating the dog, which screams out in pain as they prepare the meat for killing -

I don't like it - yes --- I think anyone who does that is backward - yes - but, wrong?????????

who am I to say?

I have not even got the guts to not eat meat - even though I am philosophically opposed to it.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.