RFX 0.00% 9.7¢ redflow limited

Enerox, page-18

1. 47,543 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 649

Hey Doc... I thank you for the post and link. I followed on and found ProLogium claims that their batteries are "70% cheaper" than the batteries... but I was wondering what batteries they were cheaper than. Yet I haven't been able to discover a cost beyond the small button batteries used in cameras etc.

There was a Wiki entry on SS batteries which gave some of the key problems with this tech is the high expense of production and difficulty scaling up production.There has been significant interest in SS batteries for some decades but cost has always been a major problem. Perhaps this is the degree of cheaper than to which they refer. RFX could still be less costly given the cost scale.

So I looked a little further and https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/materials-science/solid-state-battery showed that

"Challenges. The ionic conductivity of polymer electrolytes (10−6…10−5 S cm−1) at room temperature is poor (Fig. 2.13); moderate Li-ion conductivity is reached at 60–100°C. Solid ceramic electrolytes (10−4to 10−3 S cm−1) come close to liquid organic electrolytes but suffer from the poor contact between solid electrolyte and solid electrode interphase, and the grain boundary resistance, which often dominates the bulk resistance. To overcome these effects, thin-film cells are developed with about 0.1 mm thickness, which is one tenth of the thickness of the thinnest prismatic liquid electrolyte Li-ion cell. Hybrid electrolytes consist of solid-state electrolyte and a small amount of liquid electrolyte."

I won't pretend I understand much of this, perhaps someone can understand and explain, but, although ProLogium's spiel reads pretty positively (Crikey this is a positive website) and they may have made breakthroughs that overcome some or all of these difficulties, the SS battery may not be as big a challenge to RFX.

Have you seen any sites that retail? or mention a price for a 10kw or so domestic battery?... I've read that the do make them, but price has always been prohibitive according to two other sites I read.

cheers, Scott

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RFX (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.