ENR 2.96% 87.0¢ encounter resources limited

ENR Weekly Report, page-64

1. 4,359 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3768

Weekly Review REE Stocks - 5th Jul 2024

Here is the weekly review figures and charts that I do every week. It is useful only for those interested in trading or those who hold multiple shares and based on performance would like to keep re-balancing as we go. I do hold a number of REE stocks and like to trade. This is the reason I include a number of REE Stocks in my analysis. I also have history of 2023 for those interested in longer term view.

Please note:
    This is no reflection of all AU REE stocks as I have only included those that I am interested. In my list are shares that I hold, held before or planning to buy in near future. Since this is my list, I may have missed some good stocks. The averages are simple averages and not weighted averages. So the average don't reflect AU REE average. This is just for my tracking and analysis.

Please note that all my analysis are from a trading perspective looking at short-term view.

This week no new additions, so my list contains 30 REE related stocks.

How are we going in 2024 - General Market

• SP 500 there is no stopping, no pause like last week, 5567 from last week of 5460 - up 2% for the week. So the run continues and no signs yet of some correction which many analysts are waiting for months.
    • Volatility Index VIX is at 12.48, continues to stay in strong bull territory and at similar level as last week
    • Bitcoin looking shaky after strong run from 17k, first time looking like collapsing, at 56k now, but went to 54k - so in a very dangerous phase. Bitcoin has on many cases acted as a precursor to stock market trend - so it rose first, then Stock market followed, so many watching to get cues around general markets, if it goes below 50k, high chance Stock market could easily drop 10 to 20%
    • Sentiment Indicator - on 54 Neutral. Better than Fear of last few weeks including 44 last week. But with stock market at its highest, it should be at least Greed, over 50, if not Extreme Greed over 75 - shows punters still thinking correction coming, a clear divergence, but this divergence is now for several weeks and stock market is still going up, so not a great short term indicator it seems
    • Russell 2000 is doing very bad. And I mean very bad. Worst performing index. No wonder commodities, risk-on assets, Lithium/REE etc struggling. This week it finished at 2026, lost 1%, when all other indices making new highs
    • Yields were rising, but jobs and unemployment data on Friday made couple of percentage drop, still high though
    • Dollar Index at similar level, in fact going up, another divergence
    • Gold, Silver and Oil - was in holding pattern last few week, but trying to come back, especially last couple of days
    • So overall markets doing well, but not commodities, resources, risk-on-assets - so many may think the journey is yet to begin for them
    What may happen next week - General Markets/U/Li/REE:
    • SP 500 is still in strong territory. Many still believe we may see a correction, but not happening till now. Maybe Bitcoin indicating, but its so strong that looks unlikely in very short term
    • Russell 2000 is key for us, commodity/resource, we want that to go up - its not doing great, lets hope things change - its been nearly 2 years now. Its going south - not good, we want it to come back, previous week when other indices were flat, then it did well, but this week when other indices are doing well, it went south - who knows the market correction will give it some impetus
    • Key economic data this week around - Important week for number, CPI/PPI. But more importantly Powell speech before that. He can move markets.
    • Uranium Sector overview - (My comments similar to last week) I made a call several weeks back that CCJ will make new highs between 55 to 60 in this phase of rally. It reached 56.24 on 31st May. Two weeks before end of May, I wrote there is a very good probability we will do tops in next 2 weeks. Somehow it played out that way. I wrote that after this CCJ may go towards 45, on Friday it play in 49. I also wrote, especially for high flying ASX big stocks which made huge gains, that they will peak by end of May, and then lose around 30 to 40%. Many have lost nearly 30%, some even more. I still feel it will go down more. Reason being I am thinking we may bottom when CCJ reaches around 45, still some time to go for that, another few weeks I think, before end of July, It will drag most U stocks down. If CCJ reverses from here, all bets are off and we could look for reversal in the sector. If CCJ loses 45, then 39 comes into play, that will be very bad for the sector. Odds favour CCJ bottoming at 45 in another few week. Next high around 65 we may see in September. That's the play I if it looks like happening that way, else will follow price action - no point in assuming anything. Till now my predictions have been close to what has played, but I may have been lucky in the calls.
    • Lithium Sector overview - (My comments similar to last week) Few weeks back I wrote that - "Lithium sector is in serious trouble". Nothing has changed. We are in more trouble. At this stage, one would think the sector is nearly dead. No new money will come here. Just in last 6 months, across ASX 90 Li stocks, we have lost 39%, only 7 of 90 stocks is in green for calendar year 2024. It is dire. Every week a lot of stocks make fresh 52 week lows. But this week was slightly better, because China stocks had a good rise one day, so for the week we were up 2%. So better, but only slightly better. We need very good days, for weeks before one can feel comfortable that it is coming back. So overall, extreme caution to play this sector. Of course, if things turn round, it can turn quickly, those buying now would do very well. But more risk averse would think of waiting, seeing some signs of reversal before committing. Its individual risk/reward. My sentiment is to play with extreme caution, especially around new plays. But things can change quickly, so best not to make assumption but follow price action.
    • REE Sector overview - (My comments similar to last week) REE stocks overall have done better than Li stocks. In last few weeks I feel it is the best performing sector. Usually my portfolio used to be Li/U and only a small REE. Currently REE is my highest holding. This week it rose 8% across 30 stocks. Last week 5%. So I feel if one wants to play across 3 sector and am thinking of short term play, I feel REE is the way to go for now. Just my view, could be wrong so please dyor. But there is a story within the REE sector only some stocks are doing well. 7 stocks have had gains of over 50% in last 6 months, 22 stocks are in very good red. So stats play, if one doesn't have a favourite stock, and wants to play the sector, then stick to winners, at least for now till over Li/REE sentiment changes. Many small REE stocks also having big runs. This used to happen to Li stocks couple of years back, now it is unheard of, such has been the battering of sentiment in Li that even occasional runs for one stock takes months to appear. So REE still doing better in that field. .
    Personally:
    I have been shuffling around some stocks was earlier due to June tax transactions, but now because 2 main sectors which I play often, are not in a good state. U stocks reached a peak end of May, I got out of most of my U stocks then. Its in correction zone, trying to find the bottom, may happen by end of July when I may get in. Li stocks have had no luck like U stocks, its still in doldrums, I have very small holding comparatively in these 2 sectors now. So mostly playing REE stocks, main ones WA1/ENR/BRE/ENV/MEI/RCR etc. I am holding some Health stocks which I have been writing for months - DXB (average 30.5), BOT (19.5), PYC (average 8.3) - fortunately all are up. I have started buying 3 other Health stocks, still not 100% sure hence not writing, but hopefully next week, Also few Oil/gas have started buying, again not sure hence not mentioning.

Stock/Sector specific Info:
    • This week ENR is in consolidation phase. After consolidating in 30s for a long time, nearly a year, it finally broke previous week. Now I feel it wants to consolidate in 70s before the next leg.
    • It made a new 52 week high week at 84, so back to back 52 week highs. Reminds me of WA1 when it was playing in 5 to 12 zone
    • We made a high of 84.
    • From a weekly perspective a slight drop from 74 to 73. But one thing to notice for those looking at entry/exit - the zone of 67/68 is critical based on trading pattern. If it holds there we are good. If not, we will have to find another one.
    • We did a 52 week high this week, something that was reserved for WA1 or BRE - now its our turn
    • REE stocks up 2% for the year, great. As I have written on my analysis, if anyone interested in playing Li/U/REE, currently REE is the way to go
    • I have a feeling of some more consolidation, but best to follow price action.

Here is the Figures for the Week:
    https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/6293/6293793-44f2cbd6ff63021975e740dbc17eb171.jpg

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ENR (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.