ENR 2.50% 39.0¢ encounter resources limited

ENR Weekly Report, page-78

1. 4,827 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3953

Weekly Review REE Stocks - 6th Sep 2024

Here is the weekly review figures and charts that I do every week. It is useful only for those interested in trading or those who hold multiple shares and based on performance would like to keep re-balancing as we go. I do hold a number of REE stocks and like to trade. This is the reason I include a number of REE Stocks in my analysis. I also have history of 2023 for those interested in longer term view.

Please note:
    This is no reflection of all AU REE stocks as I have only included those that I am interested. In my list are shares that I hold, held before or planning to buy in near future. Since this is my list, I may have missed some good stocks. The averages are simple averages and not weighted averages. So the average don't reflect AU REE average. This is just for my tracking and analysis.

Please note that all my analysis are from a trading perspective looking at short-term view.

This week no new additions, so my list contains 30 REE related stocks.

How are we going in 2024 - General Market

• SP 500 this week again looking for covers. Finished at 5408, last week 5648, losing over 4% for the week. So the new all time high which was looking very achievable for last 2 weeks, is again sitting in the back burner. Strong recession fears with a big sell off of general markets on Friday, SP 500 losing around 1.75% just that day.
    • Volatility Index VIX is at 22.38, last week at 15, so up nearly 50% from last week. More crucially, is now over 20. Signs of caution now.
    • Sentiment Indicator after a very very long time had reached Greed last week at 63. Unfortunately, didn't last even a week. Currently sitting at 39, Fear. Bypassed the whole neutral zone in couple of days. Not good signs.
    • Bitcoin is again throwing a tantrum. After holding 59/60 level for quite sometime, and looking like consolidating, is now again looking weak, maybe wanting to test 50k again, currently sitting at 54. Another indicator asking to be cautious.
    • Poor Russell 2000, every time some hope builds, gets hammered back to the pavilion. The weakest index, getting weaker. Finished the week at 2091, last week 2217, losing close to 6% in a week, around 2% on Friday. Not a good look for us.
    • Yields which were rising last week, coming down strongly this week, last week at 3.91, this week, 3.71. All indicators of a rate cut happening soon.
    • Dollar Index too going like Yields, down
    • Gold, Silver, Oil - all going down, Gold at 2487, lost 2500 level, Silver a slightly bigger drop to 27.92, lost 28, Oil a very big drop to 67.67, below 68 now
    • So overall markets which was looking very strong last week, now some question marks being raised - last week I wrote - "very positive". This week - "caution, wait and then play"

What may happen next week - General Markets/U/Li/REE:
    • SP 500 into crucial week now. When it was dropping last time in early August, it limited the damage to around 10% and returned back from 5100 level. Another test coming up. Currently down 5% from its high. Will it reverse from here, or go down 10%, or the dreaded 20%. Another couple of weeks before Interest Rate decision, so lot of drama and volatility could be expected till then. Next week CPI/PPI reading as well in the mix
    • Russell 2000 is has again failed us. Not good for small caps. Not good for commodities, resources, risk-on stocks - tough times ahead. If it does not do better, it will be reflected in our Li/U/REE/Nickel/Copper/Iron Ore/Graphite etc stock prices
    • Main data next week is CPI on Wednesday, PPI Thursday - they are market movers, so something to watch

• Uranium Sector overview - I have been writing for couple of months, May end top, July end bottom, September end top. CCJ to reverse from here. Till July it went to plan. I was writing that 39/40 is critical level, and a move in either direction may provide medium term direction. 2 weeks back it was looking positive and finished at 42.61. Last week there was a scare and tested the first lower level of 39/40. It came to 40.22 and finished the week at 40.84. This week it lost 39/40, so one major critical level lost. I have also been writing that the final number to hold is 35. If it loses that, I believe, based on trading pattern I follow (which could be wrong), that U sector will stagnate or meander/drift down and we may have to wait a long time before new highs are made. On Friday it came to 35.89, finishing at 36.96. So theoretically it has held 35 for now. Next week is crucial. Lot of recession fears are spooking the markets. If general markets fall big, U sector cannot be immune to it. Spot price at 79.85, just below psychological 80. So my theory of End of Sep/Oct beginning for reaching towards high, theoretically is still there, but odds have decreased. Either it may not happen, or may take longer. Lets see what happens next week.

• Lithium Sector overview - Another forgettable week, from a forgettable month, from 2 forgettable years. It is just not going away. Last week ALB had finished nearly 30% up from its lows, Ganfeng 7%. I had been writing that if the sector has to recover, this divergence cannot stay. There cannot be a party without Ganfeng, one of the market leaders. Either Ganfeng had to rise or ALB to drop to close the divergence. Unfortunately, ALB took the lead and decided to fall down to remove that divergence. ALB fell 15% this week. Although it did not make a new 52 week low this week, it seems to be getting closer. Ganfeng also fell 3.5% this week, now 3.5% above its low, ALB is 7% from its low - now the divergence is not much. But it was not we wanted. We wanted Ganfeng to go up, ALB stay there till catch up, and then they move up. Sadly that is for another day. This week a large number of ASX/US Li stocks made fresh 52 week lows, including the ETF of LIT. There were big losses by some big ASX Li stocks, LTR 21%, LRS 20%, MIN 24%, PLS 19%, SYA 15%, WC8 32%. All this drop is just in one week. US Li lost average 13% for the week. I feel extreme caution is required for any new entry to the sector, but its individual risk/reward, things can and may turn one day.

• REE Sector overview - REE stocks having a similar play like Li sector. 2 weeks back we got a green week after 5 weeks of red. Now back to back red weeks, this week average drop 3% across 30 stocks. Double digit losses for WA1/MEI/ENR with BRE and LYC closing in red behind. So not a good look. Last week I had written, things were looking better especially with WA1/BRE/LYC, we wanted MEI/ENR to come back and join the party, instead everything going south now. So again for this sector too, caution for any new entry
    Personally:
    This week for me similar to last 4 weeks. Till last week I had bought 90% of my U stocks. I am still at 90%, sold and bought some, rotated a few. Things are not looking great, but we still have a big level to play. If that level is not looking like holding, I may slowly start getting out. I bought one Li stock on Friday, WC8 at 19.5, but may have to let it go on Monday it seems. Had bought WA1/BRE recently, but have let them go this week. U stocks I am playing (LOT/AGE/CXU/EL8/BMN/BOE/DYL/PDN/SLX/AEE). I like to spread, in case one or two doesn't work. Its individual choice, sometimes one stock may give biggest rise. I try to reduce risk of specific stocks not doing well. Besides Uranium, I am playing very cautiously, not playing Li/REE sector blindly at this stage. Just a few stocks here and there. Other plays in health stocks, with some splattering across Gold and Oil/gas - most of these I play standard spreading the money, so don't usually write there, but currently I have got around 10 stocks in these sector I am playing there. Main health stocks - DXB (avg 26)/BOT (avg 17)/PYC (avg 7.5), Gold - PNR (avg 5.2) - , I have been writing about them for several months now, keep trading small portions and reducing average
    Stock/Sector specific Info:
    • This week ENR got away from its consolidation phase. Somehow it looks weak now. especially the trading on Friday, on slightly higher volume, though not much to indicate any big sell off. It has now lost its first crucial level of 45. Next is 40. It reached 42 on Friday, though came back later. I feel, if general markets are tentative like Friday, and there is no fresh news for ENR, 40 may come into play. Whether it will hold, I don't know. But it has played like this in late 20s/early 30s as well, so odds are not bad that 40 may hold. But if it loses that, 30 may come into play, on the back of any declining general markets. Still a long way to. Fundamentals still great, though I am no expert. So hopefully we don't have to play this.
    • As I wrote in sector review, REE stocks were back to back in red this week. I had picked WA!/BRE before, I let them go this week. I was wanting to pick MEI/ENR as I wrote last week, but things not looking great at this stage. I wait.
    • REE stocks down 17% for the year.
    • Personally as I wrote over a month back, I exited my stocks. My buy average was 30.5 as I had written. On the big news day, I read the responses. I am not very great on fundamentals. I got a feel by reading the posts that its not great. I play on technicals, trading patterns more, so I exited in early 80s. I am watching now from trading perspective. At this stage its still looking vulnerable - though some signs of bottoming. So watching every day, nearly every trade for some signs. No confirmation yet that we may have bottomed or of reversal, but it can happen, or would have already happened.
    • General markets looking very iffy. Both Li/U sector getting hammered, along with Graphite etc. So extreme caution I feel for new entry
    Here is the Figures for the Week:

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/6442/6442104-dc115db75864d7e6bdceb8fcbe7ba74a.jpg

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ENR (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.