GNS 0.00% 16.0¢ gunns limited

environmental disaster about to happen, page-7

1. 10,787 Posts.
    I recently spent 3 weeks in NW Tasmania looking at real estate. There is a real fear, among the people who live there, that the tree plantations are causing serious environmental damage. Even the rich coastal basalt soils are being bought and planted because it's cost effective to pay a premium for land that can accelerate the time to harvest and also supply more harvests before the soils are depleted.
    This means that rich farmland is being lost and the intensive plantings of mono species is depleting the local water supply. That was the biggest complaint of surrounding landowners, that springs and creeks were drying up as the plantations established themselves, springs and creeks that had never dried up in living memory.

There are many checks and balances in Tasmania to protect the land, it's all graded as to it's quality for instance but tree plantations seem to side step environmental issues and the local council's authority to police their implementation.
    If you buy say 20 acres of marginal land and want to live on it you have to produce a plan for the use of that land and your need to live there to implement and maintain that plan.
    However you can buy or lease say 200 acres of rich farm land and plant it out for paper production to the detriment of that land and it's surroundings, with no checks or balances from the local authorities. I know, I asked them directly and their hands are tied for some reason?

It's all about making money as efficiently as possible, regardless of the consequences now and in the future.

There are other companies with much cleaner hands for those traders and investors who might be concerned by who and what they are supporting, encouraging and profiting from.
    How about writing to Gunns, as an investor and voicing your concerns to apply some pressure on them, as a company, to address these issues of public concern? A sustainable 'company' will be important to them.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GNS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.