STX 8.82% 18.5¢ strike energy limited

Eregulla Deeps, page-231

1. 2,401 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 503
    Australian Governments, Federal and State collectively subsidise the fossil fuel industry by more than $11 billion per year currently [or $21,143 per minute - every minute of the year]. Mostly subsidising 'gas as a transitional fuel'.

Now that the hulking Fords and Holdens with enough space for an LPG tank as dual fuel are things of the past, it is not surprising that LPG stations are in decline also. The subsidy was $2,000 per vehicle, if I recall. If we were still building cars in Australia there probably would still be a subsidy and probably still be an LPG conversion industry.

Don't waste much more time thinking about cars. The modern push into hydrogen fuel is focussed on powering public transport vehicles and heavy goods vehicles. Have I ever driven one? No, but I rode on one a while back. Amazingly it had been fuelled with hydrogen from somewhere. It didn't explode. It had the performance of a regular bus. The driver said it was just like, err, driving an electric bus, as the fuel cell generates electricity and that's what powers the electric motors to make the wheels go round. It was quiet and smooth and had regenerative braking. No sign of an engine, so I'm not sure how it could burn excessive oil. Poland has hundreds of them. Go to China if you want to see even more of them. They'll be everywhere soon, Read my second link again.

I agree, if you try to treat hydrogen like natural gas and transport it chilled down as a liquid you'll be in all sorts of bother because of the very low boiling point of hydrogen. You have to keep it really cold and it's difficult to do.

But what if the energy was moved around as natural gas using existing pipeline infrastructure or in LPG tanker ships just like today. Then, geographically close to the end user, the natural gas was put through a process that strips out the carbon so the carbon never goes into the atmosphere at all. Deliver it as compressed hydrogen gas down to the bus depot. The buses burn H2 to release energy and create only water [vapour]. Best of both worlds, eh? Public transport goes 'net zero' and workers in the gas production industry [and you are one, from what I read] are kept busy in their heavily subsidised jobs. Not a transitional fuel at all, but net zero energy for hundreds more years. Win, win.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add STX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
18.5¢
Change
0.015(8.82%)
Mkt cap ! $530.0M
Open High Low Value Volume
17.5¢ 18.5¢ 17.5¢ $1.194M 6.650M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 150000 18.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
18.5¢ 835380 14
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 14/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
STX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.