escape to the country, page-15

1. 2,158 Posts.
    Hello all,

I moved to the country in my mid thirties to bring up my children. We are 6 hours from Sydney, 2 from Canberra and 7 from Melbourne. We are 1 1/2 hours from the snow and close to pristine beaches. We are surrounded by National Parks and have extensive views to the escarpment 10 km away for 270 degrees.

I have seen people come and go over the years as there are trade offs to the fresh air, space and local amenity. If you have moved to get away from your problems or to find greener pastures you will find you take your own baggage with you. You might as well stay where you are because those problems will tend to come with you.

If you do make the move I recommend you rent in the place first, spend some time there. Avoid the little towns, live just outside is the ideal way to go IMO. What is the point of swapping one burb for a smaller one? - I don't get it.

The country values are different and I love it. You are more valued because there are not 10,000 people on top of you. People will say g'day and will certainly help you, for e.g. if you break down on the side of the road everybody will stop. This proves the media are wrong and the environment is not as evil as it would appear.

It can be difficult to gain employment and the fuel is more expensive however at least you just get out and go - we have two sets of traffic lights in our shire. I drove 40km to the regional centre yesterday and did not get one car in front of me. I drive a G220 Fairlane so slower cars can be an issue.

I still love to visit the city and love to get back home to my 5 acres. I can only see two houses where I am and never get bothered by parties or yapping dogs or neighbors. We found some new friends and have kept the real older ones - the rest dropped away.

Life is good our kids had space and freedoms city kids would have dreamed of. They have never been bored. They have great values. In small towns you soon work out who the stinkers are and keep them at arms length. Most people are fine.

Headed outside now to do some physical work, cut some wood and do some landscaping. Life it good but it was not easy to escape or to adjust. We have never looked back however it was right for us. Oh and property was great value we bought our block for $29,000 in the early 90's.

CW

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.