ESG 0.00% 86.5¢ eastern star gas limited

esg moree meeting

1. 1,163 Posts.
    Gas companies' response 'inadequate'
    CADY ANDERSEN
    30 Jun, 2011 11:48 AM
    About 300 residents gathered to discuss coal seam gas exploration in the Moree shire but left saying the response from the gas companies was ?inadequate?.
    Jane Rohde, of ?Koreen,? Gurley, said her parents at ?Noondoo,? Biniguy were caught up in the centre of the dilemma.

?The responses to important ecological and environmental questions from the companies were inadequate,? Mrs Rohde said.

?They were not giving answers.

?I think people are still needing more knowledge and I encourage the township to gain that knowledge and stand up for what they believe in,? Mrs Rohde said.

?We don?t want it,? she said.

?In the long-term this is going to affect the entire community and we need to protect our soil. It?s our lifeblood,? she said.

Representatives from Santos, PlanetGas and Eastern Star Gas made presentations and were later posed with some tough questions.

Mrs Rohde posed the question of health affects due to the project.

?Fumes, radiation, dust...we need to know the effects for animals and humans,? she said.

Local farmer David Anderson, of ?Maneroo,? asked one question on everyone?s mind - ?If a landholder refuses exploration on their property will you take legal action??

Peter Fox, of Eastern Star Gas, responded, ?We don?t want to go through that process, we much rather work with the community but ultimately we have the right to seek access?.

?Yes, that would have been much quicker,? Mr Anderson said.

Mayor Katrina Humphries said after the meeting she was not happy.

?I think it was a practical meeting and I am delighted with the way the community has conducted themselves,? Cr Humphries said.

?The depth of the questions proves we are quite well informed and passionate about protecting our patch,? she said.

Councillor Humphries made her opinion vocal.

?On average we have a $900,000 primary production cheque every year.

?If something goes wrong who is going to pick up the tab?

?We are very protective of our aquifers for our agriculture, drinking water and tourism industry,? she said.

A number of recommendations were made at the conclusion of the meeting.

The first was for the community to support the council?s moratorium on CSG exploration and another to set-up a community consultation group in regards to the matter.

Source:
    http://www.moreechampion.com.au/news/local/news/general/gas-companies-response-inadequate/2212039.aspx

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ESG (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.