ABC Online...A defiant Malcolm Turnbull says he will not be...

1. 58,089 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16
    ABC Online...
    A defiant Malcolm Turnbull says he will not be spooked by climate change sceptics within his party and is confident he will remain Liberal leader.

The party is in crisis after mass resignations yesterday in protest against Mr Turnbull's decision to back the Government's emissions trading scheme (ETS).

Speaking on ABC1's 7:30 Report, Mr Turnbull said the party would meet on Tuesday morning at 9:00am (AEDT) to consider a spill motion.

And the embattled leader said there was "no way" he would be stepping down.

"There is no question that I will be standing if there's a spill," he said.

"The Liberal Party has elected me leader. I believe that I will be retained or endorsed as leader, but it's up to the party room."

Mr Turnbull denies Deputy Leader Julie Bishop has asked him to quit.

"Nobody has told me to stand down - literally nobody," he said.

"We had a vote on the leadership two days ago, on Wednesay, and my leadership was confirmed."

Mr Turnbull said it was possible the Government's ETS might pass the Senate on Monday, before Tuesday's leadership meeting.

But Liberal Senator Nick Minchin says the leadership meeting should be held on Monday morning.

The Nationals and some Liberals have already said they cannot vote for the scheme.
    ---------------------------------------------
    There are two scenarios IMO
    1) The ETS is passed on Monday and tuesdays liberal spill fizzles and instead they all get drunk at their Xmas party.
    2) The ETS is rejected on Monday and on tuesday the Liberals have a spill while at the same time the Government requests the Governor General order a double dissolution of parliament with an election in late January or early February.

Interesting times...
    Dave R.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.