How many people have been to a tournament like this, mine was...

1. 190 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    How many people have been to a tournament like this, mine was 1982 Spain, the height of the English hooligan so I was witness to many experiences, also witness to the rubbish the press churn out. I had a ball, the northern Spanish in Bilbao (also a little village Algarta) made us very welcome, the north is Basque so was mainly pro Britsh due to the port of San Sebastion bringing in football from the workers on the ports and the sailors, the railways may have had something to do with it also. So after 3 games, Madrid was the next venture, same country different culture, hated us and violence started, the police just stand by let the locals have their fun, then light camera action, I always remember seeing a dozen English in a bar doing nothing wrong and the police did a baton parade . Today we have gone back to those dark days, the French did the same, only thing is, this time it is the Russians and they are seriously bad, since 82 up to 98 some of the English threw plastic chairs around and acted like divvies, that was shown around the world, in 1998 does anyone remember a a German stabbing and killing a French policeman, no I thought not, all seems familiar to me.
    Next, I go down to watch Perth Glory, loads of different nationalities watching two teams one game, no hassle, go to the waca, watch any international cricket match, 3pm mid strength kicks in and the abuse starts, it doesn't stop me from going watching the sport I love, but I anyone thinking only football has a problem think again,

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.