I'm not really in this discussion from a green standpoint . Like...

1. 35,008 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    I'm not really in this discussion from a green standpoint . Like most people , I would like to see a cleaner planet but not at the absolute expense of living standards etc .

I'm interested in this from a technology point of view .

And you're dead right . There is a whole lot of misinformation out there from both sides with very selfish and greedy agendas .

But I look past that and try and filter out the bs . It is interesting the information that's available if you dig a bit deeper .
    20 years ago renewables were very expensive and very unreliable . Super impractical . And , they needed subsidies to enable their development . That makes them just like many other things in life e.g. medical research . Quite often not practical on a dollar basis but the long term investment and possible benefits means it's worth the risk .

Bit like investing in mining shares .

Renewables now are starting to make sense . Reliable , affordable and getting cheaper by the minute . Also , the technology that's coming with it highlights the side benefits e.g. decent evs .
    We now know that renewables with storage will be able to do the job . It is no longer a pipe dream as it was 20 years ago . We know we can do it even with today's technologies let alone the stuff we will have in a decade or so .

I don't agree with your view on Nukes . Way too expensive , super long build times , the significant nimby issue and the problems of waste . It's a pity as it is a great resource and we have plenty of it . Maybe tech will be developed one day for it but I think it has missed it's window .
    We are actually increasing our generating capacity day by day . I have heard numbers of 10 to 15 % increase n SA , Vic and QLD just this year thanks to renewable installations . So , we will have plenty of electricity to power things like evs in the future . We may use less coal during the day thanks to renewables and we can charge the evs at night . As storage improves we can steadily take the load of fossil . Over all we are reducing our carbon footprint and as the industry evolves we can selectively retire the old stuff as we see fit . No blackouts , no shortages etc .

Don't agree with your wind analogy . Sure some of the windfarms from 20 years ago may become redundant but these really big turbines that are being put offshore now are superceding them . Out where the wind is much more consistent , larger fans that can utilise more wind speeds etc thus making them much more efficient . And , they are out of the way removing the beauty/noise issue . Really big farms that justify the support services they need .
    The ' Star of the South is one that I am following with interest .

http://offshorenergy.com.au/projects/

One more thing . These large storage projects , Snowy 2.0 and possible the Tassie " battery of the nation " will provide the sheer grunt for things that need to be charged at night .

https://reneweconomy.com.au/battery-of-the-nation-could-need-four-new-interconnectors-60312/

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.