Earlier this year, this thread opined that risk reward probably...

1. 21,139 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1981
    Earlier this year, this thread opined that risk reward probably would favour Gold over lithium stocks, and I wasn't wrong.

YTD, this is how they have performed

GOLD
    Gold +13.33%
    XGD +6.45%

Lithium
    PLS -3.80%
    MIN +0.29%
    LTR -32.12%
    LTM -23.14%
    IGO -21.44%
    CXO -42.0%

I suggested that the tables have been turned - that Gold was coming out of winter hibernation and Lithium was going into one (winter hibernation).

It took Gold stocks almost a year to get out of it, and lithium stocks would have to endure a similar period or likely longer. The reason for that is that lithium being beholden to EV would be susceptible to a recession while Gold benefits from it.

And while the market narrative holds out for a soft landing, we can only deduce that the market is in denial that a recession can be avoided in the very short term but not likely with a timeframe of a year from now. Lithium stocks would run out of time to recover before the onset of the coming recession/stagflation.

So believe what you want but I reckon lithium stocks won't recover and will likely have to endure a more painful bear market ahead.

If my thesis is correct, exiting the lithium space to enter Gold (physical/digital/ETF) would avert a protracted lithium winter to embrace a golden summer (punt intended).

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.