..as the earlier posted article alluded, US needs to make a...

1. 22,123 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2042
    ..as the earlier posted article alluded, US needs to make a choice between promoting EVs to reduce fossil fuel emissions (addressing climate target commitments) or protecting its auto industry and its workers. And given that the auto industry is situated at the heart of key and marginal electoral states in a tight presidential race, Biden had to show that it was giving priority to the domestic auto industry by imposing higher tariffs on Chinese EVs.

...if Trump wins presidency, it goes without saying that he will place US auto industry and auto workers at the forefront with no concerns over climate targets whatsoever. We know that EVs in contrast to ICE vehicles have less auto components to produce and assemble and therefore require less auto workers, with some auto component business totally put out of business. Trump will not ban EVs but I believe with confidence that he will 1) double down to prevent Chinese EVs from entering US market 2) remove the $7500 EV subsidy 3) dismantle and/or water down the IRA (Inflation Reduction Act) including reducing $$ for supercharging 4) repay oil barons who support him politically. All this would collectively stymie EV growth in the US and supercharge the hybrids market and prolong ICE vehicles in the market. The same could be said about the UK market with Labor all poised for a landslide victory and they would be supporting their auto union workers and delay the EV mandate indefinitely.

So if we get a Trump presidency, we are likely going to see Chinese EVs continuing to focus growing domestically in China with China having a wide EV penetration rate well above everywhere else...but you have to ask, how long can the Chinese consumer continue buying EVs to keep growth continuing at the current fairly rapid pace? And if the BYDs can't make higher margins off exported EVs to Western markets, they are going to stagnate financially with thin margins in the domestic market, which probably make cheaper EVs in China less sustainable over the longer run. And that too could reduce the pace of growth of EV in the Chinese domestic market.

I said before and I will say it again, I believe that as we progress towards the November presidential election date, the market won't be kind to lithium stocks when it starts imputing an increasing prospect of a Trump presidency.

Given all the analyses and viewpoints forwarded on this independent thread (I hold no lithium stocks nor short any), the lithium stock headwinds will likely continue all the way to the November elections, as prospect of a lithium price recovery in 2H this year has dimmed considerably.

On August 8, Elon Musk would reveal his Robotaxi business model, that may be great for Tesla but could be a major setback for lithium. US gigafactories are already taking this into consideration to reduce their EV battery capacity in preparation for lower demand ahead, in other words demand expectations have been reined back. If you haven't noticed, Tesla share price has detached away from what used to be a closer correlation with lithium stocks. In due time, Tesla won't be perceived to be an EV stock but a tech-enabling business.

You have only a few months to understand where lithium is at or you'd rather wait for the full brunt of the stock mean reversion process to unfold over time.

You decide. We Are the Choices We Make.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.