....the next big test for lithium stocks is the Tesla delivery...

1. 23,021 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2082
    ....the next big test for lithium stocks is the Tesla delivery data in 8 days. It could reinforce the narrative that US EVs aren't growing- the Yanks don't care about all that growth in China.

----------

The next $TSLA data point is 2Q deliveries, due out in about 8 days. IMO WS remains way too high at 442K -5% YoY. My 2Q estimate is now 420K -10% YoY which would be worse than 1Q -8.5% YoY. WS 2Q delivery ests have been coming down in recent weeks but are likely to fall more between now and next week.

Perhaps a bigger potential negative is FY’24 delivery ests where WS is still predicting almost no YoY growth of 1,811K vs 1,809K in FY’23. I am now at 1,700K for FY’24 -6% YoY, which is likely to drop further if TSLA misses again with 2Q delivs.

Another delivs miss is likely to cause TSLA FY’24 EPS ests to fall further (currently $2.45 -36% YTD and vs my FY’24 Adj EPS estimate $2.20). $TSLA FY’24 P/E of 75x (was 50-55x in Jan) should come down as investors start discounting the risk of YoY volume declines beyond FY’24.

Absent EV advertising and launch of a $25K compact to expand TSLA TAM to the mass segment, we don’t see a compelling reason TSLA P/E should trade at 75x FY’24 Adj EPS when the company’s core EV business (which accounts for 86% of TSLA profits) is not growing.

While Robotaxi and Optimus could lead to TSLA upside revisions by 2026, uncertainty about future volume and eps growth could lead more investors to adopt a wait-and-see approach as FY’24 and FY’25 estimates continue to trend down.

https://x.com/garyblack00/status/1805163242387374562

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.