EV/Lithium, page-187

1. 21,475 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2004
    Earlier this year, this thread opined that risk reward probably would favour Gold over lithium stocks, and I wasn't wrong.

YTD, this is how they have performed

GOLD
    Gold +13.33%
    XGD +6.45%

Lithium
    PLS -3.80%
    MIN +0.29%
    LTR -32.12%
    LTM -23.14%
    IGO -21.44%
    CXO -42.0%

I suggested that the tables have been turned - that Gold was coming out of winter hibernation and Lithium was going into one (winter hibernation).

It took Gold stocks almost a year to get out of it, and lithium stocks would have to endure a similar period or likely longer. The reason for that is that lithium being beholden to EV would be susceptible to a recession while Gold benefits from it.

And while the market narrative holds out for a soft landing, we can only deduce that the market is in denial that a recession can be avoided in the very short term but not likely with a timeframe of a year from now. Lithium stocks would run out of time to recover before the onset of the coming recession/stagflation.

So believe what you want but I reckon lithium stocks won't recover and will likely have to endure a more painful bear market ahead.

If my thesis is correct, exiting the lithium space to enter Gold (physical/digital/ETF) would avert a protracted lithium winter to embrace a golden summer (punt intended).

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.