LYC 0.50% $5.95 lynas rare earths limited

Hybrids are the way to go. More than willing to wait and see...

1. 7,399 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 500

Hybrids are the way to go. More than willing to wait and see which stile of Hybrids dominates. As far as PHEV here in New England they make no sense. The argument is that the majority of trips are local less than 10 miles. I do agree with this. In New England We go from Winter to summer and back fairly quickly. So for many months you want AC or heat. Both of which decrease range and efficiency of PHEV. In fact the factory settings on the volt (2017 is what I was driving) Use ice as soon any request for heat is made. This can be changed by user. The car will stay in battery mode with AC but brings on ICE much faster if AC is on to maintain charge for acceleration. It turns off AC compressor and few other things when you hit the accelerator.

This is JMO but I think what is happening is the Manufactures want to increase battery size for performance and to be able to store more deceleration energy increasing MPG. This raises cost. To justify the cost it is fairly easy and inexpensive to add a socket and charger for charging. The customer sees value in the plug. Visit the Volt forum or any of many for Toyota and Honda PHEV. Many of the users that own these and take the time to calculate Electric cost / MI do not plug them in they just run as an enhanced HEV. Not saying I would not buy one. The credits and tax deductions are much better for PHEV. (a market distortion by government that will go away) Gas would have to more than double and electric not change at all before I plugged it in. Even owning a solar company I would sell power to Grid before I used it to charge a PHEV at today’s prices.

Remember storing decelerations charge and accelerating rate of E motor is dependent on battery size. Not for the amount of charge held but how fast that energy can be put into the battery and taken out without damaging the battery. https://www.powerstream.com/lithium-ion-charge-voltage.htm

JMO I think charge and discharge rate improvements are as important as battery price declines to enabling these technologies.

https://phys.org/news/2018-10-nanotubes-world-batteries.html

I argue about this to PHEV and BEV users all the time. I ask them to do the following. Fully charge the batteries. Drive about 25~30 miles. Plug the vehicle into 120 or 240 volts through a potable watt meter I have. When done charging multiply reading by what they are paying for electric. They find they could have bought more than a gallon of gas. A couple would not believe me and said I altered my meter. I gave them a website to buy their own 120 volt meter. Nothing wrong with my meter. Here are many meters most of the sub USD 50.00 work fine, watch max amps. I do not bet money usually just a meal. I do it to dispel the whole BEV PHEV Myth. Also the totally misunderstood MPGe number which many believe in. It is accurate but you need to understand how it is calculated. Recently did a tesla 3 a very nice car to drive and ride in. Drove 50 miles and recharged at 240 volts. Could have bought almost two gallons of gas for what Electric cost. I was driving to have fun with the owner with me not max MPG, was not going crazy. Went to a very nice restaurant in the city used his car. Had a little, very nice bourbon as well. At USD ~ 60K it is a very nice car. Features that are unbelievable including auto pilot. It does not save gas or reduce CO2 when tracked back to power station.

https://www.amazon.com/EKM-Metering-Inc-EKM-25IDS-Electric/dp/B00GMZRXE8

I also do not see problems with battery supply. LI was in short supply it is now in over supply. 18 months ago price was 150 today 95 and dropping. Batteries are not hard to make, factories are expensive but that is because they are built big for high output. Supply of batteries will meet demand. There may be a few blips like late 2017 early 2018 but the supply will be there long term. Battery prices are falling that indicates plenty of supply. Yes manufacturing improvements are driving price decline but if there was a shortage the manufactures would increase profits not pass it on to customers.

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/lithium

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$5.95
Change
-0.030(0.50%)
Mkt cap ! $5.570B
Open High Low Value Volume
$5.96 $6.00 $5.93 $5.984M 1.004M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
10 7200 $5.95

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$5.96 21972 77
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.15pm 27/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.