evaporative cooling - anyone using?, page-6

1. 1,322 Posts.
    My advice is R/C. If you have expensive furnishings, it is possible that they may suffer from mildew. Another is the bacterial buildup in the water tray of the unit and ducting. (legionaires). this creates a need for more regular maintenace. The units are supposed to be decommisioned b4 every winter, and recommisioned b4 each summer. The evaporation pads will need replacing anywhere from 3 to 7 yrs dependent upon usage. As stated b4, humidity reduces the effectiveness and also on v.hot days (mid 30's +) the air is less dense (even after losing some heat during the evaporative process) and consequently air flow drops significantly.
    Whereas:
    Refrigerated IS more costly to run, however, I believe the greater comfort and reduced maintenance to the unit and home furnishings justifies the expense.
    Also, if u get reverse cycle, this is the cheapest form of heating as u actually get heat for free. How so? u may ask. Well, not only do u get the heat created from the pumping process while the unit is operating, u get heat extracted from the outside air (yes heat from the COLD ouside air) because this heat comes from the process of using the external air to evaporate the refrigerant gas and then this heated gas gains more heat from the pumping process and then loses it's heat during the condensing process which supplies heat to your house when running in reverse-cycle mode.
    No, I'm not in the industry but I do have engineeering background and have a bro in the industry.
    Hope this helps in ur decision process!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.