Evolution is not a scientific theory, page-451

1. 84,031 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    I doubt if it's as simple as 'this is the reason for it'

when you say 'system' -------- what do you mean? - the education system? -

I don't think things can be put down simply to something like 'the education system'

IMO - any 'education system' is what it is because of the society that forges it - an education system is nothing more than a tool, like a hammer or an anvil

those tools have characteristics and qualities that reflect the requirements that the owner thought was needed when they went out to buy their anvil and hammer

those purchases are the results of many factors which go into the decision -

.what is the job -
    .what tools are required for the job
    .is the job a one off, do I want tools to last almost forever, do they have to last 1 day, or do they have to last for a while whilst I build .up business - then I can buy better tools
    .should I look at the purchase of these tools as a cost or as an investment
    .should I buy local and maintain my local economy or should I buy the cheapest, no matter where it comes from

etc etc - and, that's just a few things off the top of a head - there's a lot more than that

education is far more complicated - it involves things like - what do the political forces want - do they want what is purely in their interests as a political force - or do they want what is best for their nation, state, local area?

do they want to attract people from other places by being seen as a centre of excellence?

what is the attitude of people - do they want their children, grandchildren to be given the opportunities to study and work at whatever level they are capable of, or do they just want the basics so the kid can get a haircut and get a job - any job?

as to - kids who can't spell or count etc. -- well, it's certainly a point. But it also should be noted that some of the people who have changed our entire way of life by their success in some areas --------- have been school and uni dropouts --

they are 'different' - they wouldn't and don't fit into the formal education system - getting them to sit and do their times table and spelling hours - would bore the total crap out of them - and, they would just not attend classes -

yet, they think on deep philosophical levels and think in imaginary worlds that most of us would be totally lost in

so - these are the people who change our world - these are the ones who create the bangs for bucks that drive humanity forward.

then of course - there's some others. Quite weirdos really. I have the privilege of knowing one atm - a lovely person - but, can't spell for nuts, is a flop at arithmetic - has not ever read a book - not one

yet this person has some magic power with engines and things mechanical - that sends heads of champion racing teams to him to solve the impossible in ultrahigh performance engines - he began just as an ordinary mechanic and became the go to person for high tech development of drag racing machines ------- still hasn't got a qualification barring being a mechanic - and had to be 'managed' through that as well from what I hear.

if I could wave a magic wand for education -------- I'd do 2 things

. I'd wake all people up to the immense value of it - for the sake of the nations and mankind
    . I'd start teaching philosophy at a young age and I'd make it a lifelong study

why? - because it's the one thing that can show us a path in uncharted waters - in which we are constantly in AND it's been over and over again, the common thread that is woven through so many scientific discoveries, inventions and innovations

if anyone wants an example of how to build something of amazing quality --------- then, how to destroy it

look no further than the story of Boeing

then think 'education'

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.