Evolution is not a scientific theory, page-193

1. 17,959 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 149
    HI @kingpins - we are due for a real conversation smile.png.

I have just been so busy, because I am finally well and put my sadness back into a box and sealed it. My health scare was most likely the result of a bad tooth which I had neglected for years, (wanting to keep it) - it's out and I have my old energy back, am cleaning up my garden, am tired most of the time from too much physical labour, but am sleeping well.

Re; on the more serious posts on H.C. - This morning, an old friend sent me something via WhatsApp, which I am going to attempt to translate.
    the gist is this person was asked in an interview how he would argue with someone who for example was out on the streets protesting government measures re Covid (a hot topic in Europe, where they now have the 4th round of Covid variations and people are out in the street protesting their right to do as they please and not as the authorities, doctors, etc. ask them to do) - but this could apply to other 'opinions' as well and I have found myself at times in such a situation, but manage to actually see what is happening to me and I have modified my opinions many times. I have good friends who have a totally thrashy taste in music and every so often, 'the husband' discovers his aesthetic vein and then shows me some kid on a talent show (on his mobile) singing 'Oh mio babbino caro' - and hopes I will swoon at sight and sound of this new talent and be impressed with my friend's aesthetic sense - I find those things acutely embarrassing for a number of reasons, similar with the snippets often dished out on here, there is so much ego involved and no real need to 'find out' or at least have a conversation of quality.

I do sound like a snob, and maybe I am a snob. So be it.
    Back to firmly held opinions, or - woe is me - 'political opinions':

When people are so engaged with a topic, that it becomes personal, they have to be seen to be right and correct at all times, no argument, however, logical or well-researched is going to convince them otherwise, because they have invested their feelings of personal integrity, worthiness etc. in that opinion, so they will fight 'to the death' to defend it even against most basic proof.

So it seems to me on HotCopper at times. I particularly remember one poster who was most disgusted that I should have the temerity to suggest he read a certain history book (I gave reference etc.) - his response; he didn't need to reed anything, he knew it all.So I won't engage with that person any more, and will accord that treatment to anyone who is similarly showing a 'closed mind'. No point! To me he is now a blockhead who only wears a head for decorative purposes - hopefully that - at least - is true and he is a reasonable looking human.

Take care
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.