Speaking of Aboriginal stories, I was having a day out with my...

1. 6,511 Posts.
    Speaking of Aboriginal stories, I was having a day out with my dear wife to Nambucca Heads. Beautiful place, great hamburger and chips.

There was an information board along the walk that I found interesting. It explained in Aboriginal terms how and why the different tribes had different languages, cultures, etc, which I add is a concern I have with the Voice to Parliament. I've seen up close and personal how the various groups / nations / tribes completely cut out other groups / nation / tribes with every chance they get, especially when there is money and jobs involved, not sure any voice can speak for all the Indigenous Peoples when they differ so much and are not that sympathetic to each other, but I digress.

One day a young fellow made his way down to the beach near Nambucca, out at sea he saw a shinning man glowing like the sun. He was both frightened and intrigued by the shining man. He raced back to his tribe and told them and they all came en masse to see this wondrous being. Now I must add that this was the only tribe in existence and they were many in number.

The Elders decided it would be a good idea to catch hold of the man who shone like the sun so they went after him as a single body, but he was fast and clever and he came to an area and formed a river, built the first canoe and crossed over. The vast majority of the tribe swam after him and when they crossed the river they found they were speaking a new language.

Some stayed across the river in place and others continued the pursuit whereupon they came to another river this being had formed. Once again some stayed and others crossed, those that crossed found that their language had changed again.

This process was repeated over and over again until all the rivers of the Mid-North Coast were formed and all the tribes were in place with their own languages and cultures.

I only mention this story because some of our friends tell the Tower of Babel story with the same conviction as the Nambucca Aboriginal Community does. Both stories I find strikingly similar. We seem to differ mostly via our prejudices and I'm sure the Aboriginal story will be seen as a tribal myth, whereas the Tower of babel story will undoubtedly be the Word of God.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.