@moondoong; yet another reality check for you:1. My sister's...

1. 47,958 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    @moondoong; yet another reality check for you:

1. My sister's husband bought a top of the range Mercedes twin turbo V8 SUV expecting to be able to tow his three tonne plus boat with it. After several trips the engine died - replacement quoted at $50,000 so they sold the four year old vehicle off 'for parts' and copped the loss [it retailed at $130,000 new].
    2. Our daughter's twin turbo diesel-powered Mercedes SUV is several years old and has done roughly 100,000kms. Recently it went into 'limp home mode'. Her service people referred her repairs onto exhaust / pollution experts because it was 'beyond them' to fix - a $3,000 repair! She was told to forget about economy and instead drive the vehicle in a lower gear to increase revs and the heat of exhaust burning to avoid yet another $3,000 bill or very much worse if the catalytic converter also fails. So much for diesels and fuel economy, heh?

Meanwhile a brother's Chinese made Tesla continues to see ghosts of Elon Musk [activates brakes without a reason while cruising on a freeway] but after roughly five years on regional Victorian / NSW roads has otherwise proven very economical and fault-free to own - it's now travelled beyond 140,000 kms and is charged at their home and is still able to travel to and from Canberra and back on a single battery charge [700kms].

A recent in depth Drive report I came across did a 200,000kms / five year 'all in' comparison between EVs and FFGGs - the total cost of ownership of an EV was less than HALF that for a FFGG.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.