I was basing off my fuel usage - I was easily spending $100+ a...

1. 2,473 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 51
    I was basing off my fuel usage - I was easily spending $100+ a week on fuel, which is where the $6000 a year came from. And as @Andrewst10 pointed out - petrol is only going to become more expensive - do you think it will be closer to $2/l or $4/l in 5 years time?

I note that from your abs link, the bit you cut off the image says that: the average rate of fuel consumption per passenger vehicle was 11.1 litres per 100 kilometres.

Which is a real world figure and about 50% higher than the salesperson provided figure of 7.5l/100km you used.

$2/l is cheap around here, and I don't recall the last time I saw it that low. $6000 a year isn't crazy on fuel, and for me represents about 25,000km a year, not 40,000km.

As I said previously, for my usage, the depreciation of the EV is not important. After the 8 year battery warranty period, I will be well into the positive.

Since you seem to want to bring some facts into the conversation, the curb weight of your 2011 Rav4 is between 1500-1600kg depending on the configuration you have. A similarly sized BYD atto3 SUV weighs 1750kg - so around 10-15% heavier. Do you really think this will have a large effect on tyre wear? I guarantee you that extra 10% wear will be more than offset by not needing oil changes, spark plugs, etc, etc, etc.

And automotive batteries have been getting lighter every year.

BYD Automotive was founded in 2003. Their first full battery electric was released in 2008. You may not of heard of them, but they have been around for well over a decade and have a great reputation for reliability. They are currently selling over 3 million cars a year.

They are a subsidiary of BYD the battery manufacturing company which has been making batteries since the 90s. You've probably owned some of their batteries in your phone or laptop over the last 3 decades and didn't worry about it for a second.

Don't be so proud of your ignorance.

Last edited by Dochico: Today, 14:39

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.