"I was basing off my fuel usage - I was easily spending $100+ a...

1. 16,641 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8106
    "I was basing off my fuel usage - I was easily spending $100+ a week on fuel, which is where the $6000 a year came from. And as @Andrewst10 pointed out - petrol is only going to become more expensive - do you think it will be closer to $2/l or $4/l in 5 years time?"

"And as @Andrewst10 pointed out - petrol is only going to become more expensive - do you think it will be closer to $2/l or $4/l in 5 years time?""

On what basis can someone forecast what the price of a globally fungible economic good will be just one month into the future, let alone five years out?

"I note that from your abs link, the bit you cut off the image says that: the average rate of fuel consumption per passenger vehicle was 11.1 litres per 100 kilometres.
    Which is a real world figure and about 50% higher than the salesperson provided figure of 7.5l/100km you used."

As I said in my previous, that ABS vehicle data doesn't make the distinction between types of passenger vehicles.

Clearly, large SUVs and working vehicles such as tradesman's utes consume far more fuel on each travelled km than the EV-equivalent passenger vehicles. But the choice here isn't an EV replacing an SUV or the ute used by an electrician or plumber; it substituting an EV for a similar sized sedan.

So the relevant comparative figure is clearly nowhere near 11.5l/100km. (But, hey, even if one uses that irrelevant 11.5l/100k figure, one still gets 27,000 km travelled, still 2.7 times higher than the level implied by you.)

"$2/l is cheap around here, and I don't recall the last time I saw it that low."

Really?
    Hard to find anywhere where it is as high as $2.00/l:

Screenshot 2024-07-19 150017.png

Screenshot 2024-07-19 150539.png

Screenshot 2024-07-19 150624.png

Screenshot 2024-07-19 150806.png

$6000 a year isn't crazy on fuel, and for me represents about 25,000km a year, not 40,000km."

You must have been driving a very fuel-inefficient car. Because that represents 12 l/100km @$2.00/l

If it was made known at the outset that this was only your personal experience, it wouldn't have been required to properly contextualise it against more representative averages.

"Since you seem to want to bring some facts into the conversation, the curb weight of your 2011 Rav4 is between 1500-1600kg depending on the configuration you have. A similarly sized BYD atto3 SUV weighs 1750kg - so around 10-15% heavier. Do you really think this will have a large effect on tyre wear?"

If you want to invoke facts, then it really needs to be done properly.
    It is not just the weight difference that influences wear rates as the tractive force in acceleration and deceleration.
    As we know, EVs have far more rapid acceleration than conventional cars: why, it is one of their selling features.
    The wear rate differential is meaningfully higher than 10%.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.