exit tax on super , page-48

1. 8,917 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 32
    It is rare (ish) for governments (in most countries) to remove concessions already granted.

Example - the increase in the age at which you start to get the state pension, it didn't impact those already there or with a year or two of getting it.

I can see legislation that pension payments from taxable components is taxed at a low rate of say 5/10%. Maybe for new pensions after a set date in the future.

I also see a RBL being applied in the future. There would be some who have over $10m in super accounts (mainly from shares in private companies). Although these could be counted on a few hands (?) the political aspects come into play.

Having said the above I think it unlikely that either would be enacted on existing pensions - akin to retroactive legislation and would be subject to highest legal challenge as unconstitutional. I hope :-)

IMO - convert to a pension ASAP, and I mean a full pension not a transition to retirement. As a full pension status allows you to take 100% of the funds out tax free before nay proposed legislation comes into force and go live anywhere in the world! With a retirement situation to get the full pension, you can go back to work after a few weeks if you like, so go take a well deserved holiday.

And for SMSF holders concert as much taxable component to tax free on a regular basis. If over 55 ensure any new lumps of $ going into Super are into a secondary pension account and not rolled together with the primary to ensure you have 1 fund that is always 100% tax free. Then you can take out large amounts without any tax, as and when your need additional cash.

Just my thoughts, and not advice!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.