ASB 0.00% $2.40 austal limited

To date, six Constellation Class Frigates (FFG-62) have been...

1. 18 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 11
    To date, six Constellation Class Frigates (FFG-62) have been procured by Congress through FY2024.

Only 4 contracts have thus far been awarded to Fincantieri Marinette Marine (FMM).

Considering FMM are suggested to be 36 months behind production schedule, and CNO Del Toros has previously expressed to Congress that a second yard should be engaged to build them, I think there's a chance that we see prior to 30 June / within FY2024, one contract awarded to FMM and one contract awarded to Austal. If you review the past contract awards schedule for Austal and the DoD, there is a habit of substantial shipbuilding programs being announced in late June and late December. Whilst FMM have had significant attrition in the workforce and difficulties with retention, the most recent Congressional Research Papers suggest the Technical Design Package is 80 to 85% complete, and that the USN has transplanted members into FMM to finalise the design more expediently.

Interestingly I note that Uncle Sam has kicked FMM $50M to help pau bonuses for retention of staff at their Wisconsin shipyards for both blue collar welders and white collar engineers / planners / buyers etc. Suppose we can't complain considering Austal received $50M a couple years back to expand steel manufacturing facilities.

I've noted above the details of Austal's mention of purchasing a Pearlson D&C shiplift which is approx 450 feet in length and thus capable of lifting a Constellation Class in and out of the Mobile River.

Vice Admiral James Pitts and Rear Admiral Fred Pyle both visited Austal Mobile yesterday wednesday 8 May 2024 to inspect the manufacturing facilities, which is a good indicator.

On a separate note, having raised Pearlson, I note that the Northern Territory government earlier this week awarded a contract for them to build a shiplift for the East Arm Darwin facility. The below ABC article provides details. Review of East Arm NT aerial imagery on Google satellite images and other aerial images show a large section of hardstand concrete being laid in mid 2015 directly above the location noted for the construction of the shiplift. The area has been used for container storage, but has been otherwise underutilised. If you read the draft Department of Industry and Tourism paper below (to be finalised soon supposedly) only Austal and Norship are recorded as Case Studies within, with most of the attention on Austal.

It would seem probable that the Federal governmetn has earmarked that area for Austal to build an expanded service centre, which can be overseen from Austal's offices in Berrimah.

Any grant or subsidy for Austal to acquire the land is likely a long time off, but the signing of the Pearlson contract for the shiplift is a good indicator that Austal expanding its service and maintenance work in the top end is getting some progress.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-08/why-nt-is-still-waiting-for-delayed-darwin-ship-lift-project/103814374

https://industry.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/1284873/draft-midp-2023.pdf

NFA / DYOR

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ASB (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$2.40
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $869.8M
Open High Low Value Volume
$2.40 $2.41 $2.37 $1.429M 597.5K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 2355 $2.38

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$2.41 20220 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ASB (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.