PRC 0.00% 61.0¢ pike river coal limited

As deeply frustrating as it seems watching this from afar. it...

1. 98 Posts.
    As deeply frustrating as it seems watching this from afar. it must be remembered that those at the site are dealing with this the best way possible. Calls for heroic volunteers to head into the mine are irresponsible. The history of methane explosions in coal fields around the Hunter Valley here are a prime example of what can happen. many a mine manager after an explosion let teams in to rescue trapped men only to fall victims themselves. You have to remember once that explosion happened the underground enviroment has changed dramatically. ventilation controls would have been blown out machinery smashed blocking air flows old mine out area now suddenly exposed to free flowing air again making for potential spon com.gaseous atmosphere from fires and obviously methane continuing to build up. It will raised to explosive levels than blow again and continue to do so while ever there is no airflow to disipate it. It must be remembered that most of the damage caused by these gas explosions is the result of the dust explosions after it can roll thru the whole mine even around corners.As far as the oxygen carried by the men that work via a chemical reaction they are not self contained breathing apparatus and by now would be long exhausted. If they had refuge chambers they may have hope but the text book says getting to one of them is remote. This is way diferent to Chile and beaconsfield and far more catastrophic in its nature. harrowing for all concerned especially the relatives but unfortunately an everpresent dager in the coal mining industry.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PRC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.