Hi All4One and all, “The good thing is that foreign students pay...

1. 3,971 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 185
    Hi All4One and all,

“The good thing is that foreign students pay full fees and Australian students get the loans.”

Unfortunately, there is another problem we need to think about, I had a lady friend working in one of our Queensland Uni’s and recall a conversation with her on academic standards. She told me she once marked some foreign students work as a fail, later she was asked to have another look at these papers and was pressurised to remark the papers from above. Apparently failing foreign students in their first year and missing out on subsequent years of fees is not good for business.

I was at a graduation ceremony for one of our director’s sons as he completed his Mechanical Engineering degree a couple of years back and I recall a lot more names I found hard to pronounce called out than Australians. You are right about the housing around the Uni’s there are plenty of single room apartments all over South bank and west end.

I guess once education is turned into a business, standards may fall. The only smart country I am aware of that still keeps education free and on student merit and performance is Scotland. Canny people those Scots!

I’m with both you and MM on the resource tax as we need to stop allowing our precious minerals being removed from the ground free of charge. And as we can’t trust them to be honest at least we can count the number of Tonnes as they are loaded onto the ships.

Cheers and very best regards: Andy

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.