INR 3.45% 14.0¢ ioneer ltd

External News & Commentary, page-1963

1. 38 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 12
    I largely agree with the points you have made. However, it is important to differentiate between the Thacker Pass Lithium Mine (TPLM) and the proposed Rhyolite Ridge Lithium Mine (RRLM) and analyse the issues raised after the Bureau of Land Management's (BLM) Record of Decision (ROD) for TPLM. One significant distinction between the two mines is the number of opposition issues raised against them. Following the issuance of the ROD for TPLM on January 15, 2021, several lawsuits were filed against the BLM's decision. Notably, four environmental non-profit organizations filed a lawsuit claiming threats to various species and habitats, including sage grouse, golden eagle nests, endemic sprinsnail, and Endangered Species Act-listed Lahontan cutthroat trout, bighorn sheep, and pygmy rabbits. On February 6, 2023 (two years later), the United States District Court (District of Nevada) ruled in favor of the BLM's decision, rejecting arguments that the project would cause unnecessary and undue degradation to the local sage grouse population and habitat.

In contrast, when considering RRLM, I believe the proposed mine is in a much better position, as the only known issue raised at this time is regarding Thiem's Buckwheat. Despite RRLM having fewer known issues, the Court must still carefully address all lawsuits raised and apply the appropriate standard of judicial review. This review considers the decision of a federal agency, which generally receives deference based on the records available to the agency at the time of the decision. Needless to say, this process takes time and may potentially lead to delays. Another significant issue raised was the speed at which the BLM issued the permit for TPLM, which will certainly be taken into consideration during the permitting process for RRLM.

Considering the points raised, I disagree with your statement regarding the quick dismissal of the lawsuit, as the entire process took approximately two years. This does not necessarily imply that RRLM will follow the same timeline, especially in terms of the delays experienced by TPLM. However, it is essential to adhere to the judicial process when a lawsuit is filed. While the critical mineral supply is indeed a more significant issue than the concerns raised, it does not supersede the importance of the judicial process. Although it may expedite the timeline, it does not override it. Timelines may be affected by various issues, and it would be premature to rule out the possibility of delays resulting from litigation.

One point I strongly agree with is your final comment regarding Ioneer's determination to see RRLM come to fruition.

At the end of the day, it is easy to envision smooth operations, but it is crucial to consider the various possible outcomes, especially when dealing with projects on U.S. soil.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add INR (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
14.0¢
Change
-0.005(3.45%)
Mkt cap ! $325.5M
Open High Low Value Volume
15.0¢ 15.0¢ 14.0¢ $281.3K 1.944M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
22 2622309 14.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
14.5¢ 180000 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 19/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
INR (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.