Looks like I'll have to spell it out for you, Madamswer and the...

1. 35,008 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4

Looks like I'll have to spell it out for you, Madamswer and the rest.

While I don't necessarily support how XR is going about their protesting, it's what they are protesting about that is the point.

In their view, we are facing a climate emergency. Therefore, they feel that to get the " emergency " message across they have to do more extreme things such as blocking traffic in order to get more attention and more action.

Madamswer likes to bang on that the more modern countries are not the problem as they have at least done something about reducing or limiting their emissions. Which still isn't enough according to XR.

However, as she likes to point out, it is the rise in emissions by the developing countries that is the main problem and therefore we should be making them do more.

Here's the crucial point on that. It is the more modern countries that lead the world. They always have, they always will. The emerging countries aspire to be like the modern ones. They take on their technologies, their lifestyles, their living standards.

So, it is up to the modern countries to lead the way on reducing emissions in order to give the emerging countries the tools to reduce theirs. It is up to the modern countries to speed up the technological development of low emission tech.

We know the emerging countries want to lift themselves up, raise their living standards, increase their life expectancies, raise their education levels etc. We can't deny them the right to do that but all this comes at a cost of rising emissions. Because of this expected rise in emissions, we need to find ways to limit that rise.

Do we expect the Ethiopians to develop new renewable technologies while they are starving ? Do we expect the people of Myanmar to develop electric cars, planes and ships ? Was LED lighting developed in Zimbabwe under Mugabe ? Were solar panels invented in the slums of India ?

For crying out loud, we are selling them the very technology that is causing their emission increase.

It is pretty obvious that if we want these emerging countries to limit their emissions, they are going to need some help. We are pretty happy to sell them everything from agriculture to weapons. We need to be doing more to develop these technologies for our own economies so that we can share them with the up and comers.

E.g. If large scale energy storage was more advanced today i.e able to sold as a package with renewables, there would be little need for countries to be building new fossil or nuclear generation now.

Sorry I had to simplify that for you. rolleyes.png

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.