Facebook / paid fake news

1. 37,902 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 422
    An American academic and expert on Facebook was interviewed on ABC RN this morning.

He says that after months of stonewalling on the issue of fake news, in the face of a backlash from senior staff , Zuckerberg now admits fake news is a Facebook problem and did have impact on the recent US election. Three examples of fake news adversely impacting Clinton were given.

The problem has been that Facebook derives substantial revenue from fake news sites. Zuckerberg is now "somewhat" disturbed about Facebook being a major source of misinformation and now vows to do something about this scouge.

Many of my posts during the election campaign were about what I felt were implausible "news" stories about Clinton going viral on the net and many here regurgitating without questioning or exercising judgement. I didn't go out and say they were fake, I just posted to the rumblings of my bullsheeto'meter.

The internet and social media has a very dark side and is proven to be capable of swaying outcomes with misinformation that goes viral. Look no further than the efforts of Lock The Gate, and they are the tip of an iceberg.

Dex
    Last edited by poyndexter: 21/11/16

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.