failure of successive govts to protect animals

1. ACB
    4,958 Posts.
    It beggars belief that it takes a Four Corners story to shed light on what happens to the poor animals destined for the live export trade. The Agriculture Minister and his predecessors would have been well aware of what goes on, if they didn't they're negligent in their duties. It's the dirty secret successive governments - both Liberal/National and Labor - have turned a blind eye to.

Thankfully, belatedly, they are halting exports to the abattoirs featured in the story and having an "inquiry" but like most inquiries it's probably just to stall for time until the furore dies down and hopefully the public forgets. I doubt anyone who saw the 4 Corners story will forget what they saw any time soon.

It is high time all live exports of livestock was halted. Not just cattle, but sheep (which suffer appalling conditions when shipped to the Middle East). If there is a demand for halal meat - and I find this method of killing pretty barbaric in the modern age to be honest - let it be done in Australia by well trained slaughtermen so we have at least some control over the welfare of our livestock.

Some farmers who rely on this trade will make less money. I could not care less. Most farmers work hard and bust their guts but won't subject their animals to horrific cruelty for that extra buck. Those that do can go to hell as far as I am concerned.

Australia should not participate in this cruel and vicious industry. The Japanese must laugh at the hypocrisy of our nation to criticise their slaughter of whales.

Anyone who cares about animal welfare who saw the story should contact their local MP and express their disgust that a modern, supposedly civilised nation like Australia would participate in this industry.

Some things are more important than the almighty dollar.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.