Uluru Statement goes beyond the Voice - Treaty would be the...

1. 100 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    Uluru Statement goes beyond the Voice - Treaty would be the vehicle to achieve self-determination, autonomy and self-government.

Also includes - the establishment of a truth commission, reparations, a financial settlement (such as seeking a percentage of GDP), the resolution of land, water and resources issues, recognition of authority and customary law, and guarantees of respect for the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.

Basically it comes down will the Voice and Parliament negiotiations come to fair and reasonable outcomes and not result in unecessary escalations and delays in the high court? Yes voters believe so, no voters don't.

Everyones view of fair and reasonable is different. The fact the statements above come from compiled viewpoint of ~1200 aboriginal spokespeople (not sure on the number, can correct me if I'm wrong) and is a published document leads me to believe they believe the above items are both fair and reasonable and should be on the table for negogiations. I don't believe the above are fair and reasonable.

The Voice is not directly about Treaty, that is true. It's a step in process. The States are already doing their own thing with different Treaties and SA is legislating a Voice I believe. I don't think the outcome of the Voice matters as much as most people from either side would indicate - the pathway of Aus is already underway. Will it lead to fair and reasonable outcomes that benefit Aus as a whole? Time will tell but I have my doubts.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.