SDL 0.00% 0.6¢ sundance resources limited

I would like to add a perspective on the question of governments...

1. 75 Posts.
    I would like to add a perspective on the question of governments and 'corruption'. By way of background I spent 6 months working/living in Cambodia, correctly regarded as one of the most corrupt countries on the Earth. I did investigate closely the situation there: talking to gov officials, local and foreign business people, plus NGO workers, and ‘ordinary’ Cambodians. I feel that some of this knowledge relates to Cameroon.

First, Cambodia (known as ‘Scambodia’). It is a good place to do business. There are a number of western companies making money in Cambo, and that number is growing. There are also many westerners living and running businesses in Cambo, and making money. The people of Cambo LIKE having westerners live and invest in their country. The ‘average Cambodian’ sees increased western interest in their country as a very good thing, the path to improvement for themselves and their country. At the same time the Cambo people are in awe of western culture. They love the west, e.g. girls pool their meagre wages to buy a copy of Cosmo, while 99% of the Cambo pop are eagerly learning English. Everyone aspires to a western lifestyle, they realise that most will never attain this for themselves, but hope for their children and grand children. Every parent who has the means is sending their children to the best school they can afford.

The point I am trying to convey is that simply because a country is corrupt does not automatically mean that its economy is bad and that the country is an unreliable investment. Not every 3rd world corruptocracy is a Zimbabwe.

For a company to be successful in this type of country it needs to know the ground rules, and act accordingly. I suspect that the average citizen of Cameroon looks upon SDL, and other western investors, as a great boon. If SDL keeps the gov parasites sweet then it will have no trouble operating in Cameroon. By way of comparison look at other Aust companies operating in the 3rd world, Oxiana comes immediately to mind. Know what you are doing, and there is no problem.

I will add one final point, corruption is rife in the 3rd world, but my counter claim is that corruption is equally rife in the 1st world. It is just more hidden.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SDL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.