farm land, page-10

1. 708 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 11
    Allmattergreen,
    My farm consists predominately of gravel over bauxite/hardcap (which maybe 10m+) down to clay.

Typically very well drained of Jarrah,Redgum,Sheoak,Banksia origion.

I planted 120ha of Gardiner barley and 25ha of Wandering oats.

All crops had 140kgha of agras,40kgha potash and 80kgha urea.

I have a very strong ryegrass/clover presence.

As my farm is relatively young having only been developed for approx 20 years some of the paddocks are still uneven.

I spray topped 80% in 07 and double knocked the oat areas with glyphosate,then sprayseed 3 weeks later before seeding.

My first paddock went in on 22nd may with barley on some of my older country which had not been cropped for at least 15 years.All barley sown at 70kgha.
    This crop is amazing,tillering like no tomorrow.
    Potential 5t++.

Next paddock is barley,prodominately gravel with two small separate pockets of clay.
    I planted with a 28 row combine (direct drill).
    Due to the uneveness of this paddock gemination has been staggered with some seed sown at possibly 10cm+.
    70% of crop up and tillering well with some bare ares just germinating or not emerging at all.
    All barley paddocks have been sprayed for ryegrass.

Next paddock barley with 70% tillering and growing well with some deep sown areas.Approx 8ha of virgin sown land (deep gravel) crop tillering poorly with red stems.
    I think the soils are acidic inhibiting nitrogen,phospherous,potash uptake.Lime probably needed here.

Next paddock barley with half clay/half gravel.Crop generally tillering well with some deep sown areas.Some heavy ryegrass which I hope hoegrass is controlling.

Next paddock 3/4 deep gravel and rest gravel over clay.Half of the paddock has never been cropped before.The uncropped half is going very well with the rest fair and deep sown sections.

Next paddocks are oats with half never sown before on gravel soil with the remainder on older clay soils.Crop sown at 80kgha with the new land by far the best.
    The clay areas are moderately infested with ryegrass after being sprayed twice before seeding.

I dont know how I will end up here,but I do know that because I am in a high rainfall area does not guarantee you of growing a good crop.

I do know however that I am prepared to learn from all this, and that in the future I may be able to utilise the rainfall to a fuller extent.

Best to all.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.