Farmer wants a handout., page-68

1. 9,086 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 17573
    My inlaws are farmers and Coles/Woolworths are a disgrace. It is too hard a life these days to run a farm and profit is pretty non-existent. Long days and long nights at times for little reward(and don't mention droughts and workaround building your dams etc). Inlaws were 'milkers' but now because in their 70s (i.e. don't get a pension because farm is in the assets test) they make a living by selling the felled gumtrees on their property (after storms which they need to cut up) and fattening cows up etc for sale into the abattoir. None of their kids are interested in running the farm in due course and I don't blame them

Many in the area gave up milking in Vic because not worth it and then well, some say better off selling the farm to others - mainly foreigners given the kids don't have an interest in the land given the hard hard hard work to farm and little reward for doing it.

The Nationals are a disgrace given they are so in bed with the Libs that they even screw over their own constituents. And the ALP ain't much better there either.

So I particulalry enjoy the right and left wingers on this forum castrating farmers when they sell farms to foreigners but have no clue as to why they are selling up as they drink caffe lattes in the city. I also like hearing them winge about their goods coming offshore - well so you know farmers can compete with foreigners but when Coles/Woolworths wants to screw you over you can't be bothered and therefore sell out (or just use the farm as the place you retire at - like my inlaws - whilst making ends meet).

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.