ESG 0.00% 86.5¢ eastern star gas limited

farmers oppose gas pipeline.

1. 1,163 Posts.
    Farmers oppose gas pipeline
    Posted 1 hour 22 minutes ago

More than 90 farmers from Tambar Springs to Boggabri are banding together to urge Eastern Star Gas to change the course of its Narrabri-to-Wellington gas pipeline.

The 275-kilometre piece of infrastructure, in which Santos has a 19 per cent stake, will feed into a gas-fired power station, planned for Wellington.

But, at a meeting in Narrabri, local farmers have told the company, its consultants and the state government the current route is untenable.

Affected landholder James Bishop says Eastern Star Gas must go back to the drawing board.

This proposed pipeline should be re-located. I mean, it's coming through a highly-sensitive part of our plain, it's a floodplain area," he said.

"It's highly erodible".

"We're dealing with very ancient soils that are highly-productive and, from what we've been able to see, and very clearly we believe that this pipeline does not belong on this part of the Liverpool Plains," he said.

Farmers have invited the Premier, Kristina Keneally, to inspect the properties it will impact.

James Bishop, says farmers are asking Eastern Star Gas, and the state government, for more information, and getting very little in return.

"There's enough evidence to be put on the table that you are dealing with a fragile floodplain and I would say both to the Planning Department, the Minister for Planning, and the Premier of this state in fact I would put an invitation out to Kristina Keneally to be my guest, come up here and I will personally take and show you where this pipeline is intended to go," he said

A delegation of farmers has also asked state Planning Minister, Tony Kelly, to intervene to change the course of the pipeline.

The group met the Minister on Thursday at his office in Macquarie Street.

Acting Chair of the Mullaley Gas Pipeline Action Group Joe Martin says a number of diversions were put forward.

He says while the Minister gave no undertakings, he seemed receptive to the ideas.

"We suggested to him that the pipeline and similar infrastructure be put on Travelling Stock Routes and road reserves, which are government-owned land, and these be used as infrastructure corridors in the future to minimise the impact on agricultural businesses," he said.

Former Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson is the chairman of Eastern Star Gas.

He says the company is amenable to considering alternate routes, but says the state government has a lot to do to make that happen.

"If the Minister wants us to use Travelling Stock Routes, and we are more than happy to do so, you know, it would be tremendous if the Minister then ensures that the relevant departments are happy for us to use the Travelling Stock Routes," he said.

"You know, there are all sorts of issues, such as potential native title claims through to vegetation management issues," he said.

John Anderson says farmers should not lose sight of the contribution the pipeline will make to regional economies in the Central and North-West.

"We'll do everything we can to accommodate people's needs, but obviously this is an important development for the region," he said.

"It means, for example, expanding employment in Narrabri - it's already considerable - but it also means a power station in Wellington which is very important not just for Wellington, but for New South Wales, he said

cheers,

Ray.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ESG (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.