I'd rather drive a Valiant Charger then an EV. Sure, they're a...

1. 8,064 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 835
    I'd rather drive a Valiant Charger then an EV. Sure, they're a bit heavy on fuel (depending on where one is driven), may not be as quick off the mark but I tell you what, I'd get more looks of amazement from people than any EV - plus they're cheaper. Due to a good sized petrol tank I'd get a lot further than in most EV's on a full charge and as for specs - this from an article:

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/news/racing-garage/vh-valiant-the-rt-super-charger-that-never-made-it/

It was what was under the bonnet that really got pulses racing. A bored-out version of Chrysler’s 245 cid ‘Hemi’ in-line six boosted the R/T’s capacity to 265 cid (4.3 litres) which in base R/T specification with a two-barrel carburettor was rated at 218 bhp (162 kW).

Next step up was a hotter R/T variant with factory option code E37. This was in effect a milder ‘street’ version of the full-house E38 competition car, equipped with a trio of 45mm DCOE Weber twin-choke carburettors (hence Six Pack) mounted on a unique cast-aluminium inlet manifold. This had been created with the assistance of Weber engineers in Bologna, Italy using a VG Pacer sedan as a test mule.

This was a stunning development. No major Australian car maker had ever adopted such an elaborate and exotic carburettor and inlet system and it certainly had the go to match the show, with the E37 option boosting the 265 Hemi’s power output to 248 bhp (185 kW).

Top rung of the R/T performance ladder was the R/T E38, which didn’t try to disguise its Bathurst intentions. The triple-Weber E38 version of the Hemi Six Pack was designed and built by the factory as a ready-made race engine, with a hotter camshaft and numerous upgrades of internal and external hardware to improve performance and durability in competition use.

The E38 was rated at 280 bhp (209 kW) at 5000 rpm with a 318 ft/lbs (429 Nm) of Mountain-climbing torque at 3700 rpm.

Given Chrysler Australia’s funding restrictions and component supply challenges, what the Adelaide-based company achieved in creating this Bathurst warrior was nothing short of astonishing.

Or this:

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/buyers-guide/1001/valiant-charger-770-buyers-guide

Excerpt:

The engines (six-cylinder and V8) fitted to these Chargers are among the world's most durable power units. Distances of 300,000kms are possible before serious repairs are needed....

The Borg-Warner automatic transmissions fitted to most 770s are even more bombproof than the engines.

Engines with high power and torque lasting 300000km before repairs needed coupled with bombproof gear boxes - yep, the good old days when cars were made tough and made in Australia - there are still some happy and proud owners.

Bear in mind too, they lasted 50 or more years - with less electronic tech, and less recalls - even with all the moving parts.

As for EV's - see whether you can come close on those parameters - going from 0-100km/h in around 3sec is only one bit of spec - how about range, reliability and longevity and less intrusion into personal matters.

There was no talk of ever 'babying' a Valiant Charger or other such muscle cars - there are suggestions for such to get a few extra miles out of an EV. AIMO smile.png

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.