favourite photos, page-48

1. 17,117 Posts.
    you are both correct....but there are sub-species

originally I thought it was a Yellow Rosella....they are all from the same family...
    he looks like the Adelaide Rosella...with the blue cheeks
    page 277 of the Readers Digest...Complete Books of Australian Birds
    I thought I had nailed him down by another reference on another PC as the eastern rosella...more to come later

but looking at photos on the net...all the eastern rosellas have a white cheek...not blue cheeks ??

Wikipedia....ref to Murray River....thats my location

Yellow Rosella
    The Yellow Rosella, which lives along the Murray River, was reclassified (1968) as a subspecies, P. elegans flaveolus, of the Crimson as the two were found to interbreed where their ranges overlap. The main difference between the two is that those parts of the Crimson which are red are on the Yellow bright yellow.

[edit] Adelaide RosellaThe Adelaide Rosella of Adelaide and the surrounding area, was also thought to be a separate species, but is presently believed to be a hybrid swarm, having originated through interbreeding of the Crimson and Yellow Rosellas. Both of these still interbreed with the Adelaide Rosella where its range crosses theirs, and it exhibits variation in its plumage from dark orange-red in the south of its distribution to a pale orange-yellow in the north. Variants that are very close to the Yellow race are designated subadelaidae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimson_Rosella

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.