fear of death , page-62

1. 27,539 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    Dazedandconfused

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Some claim that humans are the only species that truly understands what death means. I personally doubt that this is true. Even among humans with our sophisticated method of communication there is far from consensus on what death means.

As far as other species are concerned. I know that elephants mourn their dead, and I'm convinced that I saw a cat mourn the death of another. Given our limitations in abilities to communicate with other species, I doubt that we really know what they think of death.

The instinct for survival is also very strong, and so is the instinct of mothers to protect their young. I've seen prey animals turn on predators with such ferocity that the later have been unexpectedly driven off.

In my opinion the fear of death among living things is more intriguing and complex than it first appears.

I've never meditated on the level that you have, so would like to ask you some questions based on this.

Also your anecdote about reviving from anaesthesia .... that experience is a direct parallel to the final stage of meditation. The difference being however that the meditator arrives at that state by intentionally withdrawing their attention away from the senses.

What does withdrawing from senses mean and how do you achieve this? The more I try to ignore my senses the less I'm able to do so. I start itching in places, I can't reach and so on...:)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.