fed express playoffs the barclays, page-27

1. 33,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    The Yanks love him and its as though they have claimed him . Has to be the most marketable player on tour. Love it when he grabs his son after the last winning putt.

Jason Day wins first PGA Tour playoff event in New Jersey with incredible final round to back up PGA Championship triumph

Updated 43 minutes ago
    PHOTO: On top of the world... Jason Day recorded an unbelievable final-round 62 to win the first PGA Tour playoff event by six strokes. (Getty Images: Ross Kinniard)
    MAP: United States
    Australian golf star Jason Day has run away with the first event of the US PGA Tour's lucrative end-of-season play-off series to assume top spot in the FedExCup standings.
    Backing up from his major breakthrough at the PGA Championship, Day carded a brilliant bogey-free final-round eight-under-par 62 in New Jersey on Monday (AEST) to secure his third victory from his past four starts.
    The world number three finished at 19-under for the championship, six shots clear of Swede Henrik Stenson (66) and will head to the second event in the four-tournament playoffs in Boston in pole position to land the $US10 million ($A13.96 million) bonus prize.
    In addition to the $US1.485 million ($A2.07 million) winner's purse, Day also collected 2000 FedExCup points for his latest success to leap from American trio Jordan Spieth, Bubba Watson and Jimmy Walker in the overall standings.
    Fellow Australians Steven Bowditch, Matt Jones, Marc Leishman and John Senden also qualified for the second play-off event but Adam Scott's season is officially over after missing the cut.
    I'm just excited right now. I'm ecstatic. I got off to a good start in the playoffs and I'm looking forward to next week.
    Jason Day

The former world number one and Masters champion tumbled to 106th in the FedExCup race, with only the top 100 making it to Boston.
    After starting the final round equal top of the leaderboard with Korean Sangmoon Bae, Day was never headed after jumping two strokes clear with birdies on the second and fourth holes.
    Stenson threatened after twice pulling to within two shots of the lead on the back nine before Day slammed the door shut after picking up further shots on holes 10, 11, 14 and 15 to close with the low round of the day.
    He was so dominant that third placegetter Watson (69) finished eight strokes adrift of the Queenslander, with British Open champion Zach Johnson (69) and fellow American Zac Blair (66) a further shot back in equal fourth.
    "Today was just phenomenal," Day said.
    "I'm just excited right now. I'm ecstatic. I got off to a good start in the playoffs and I'm looking forward to next week."
    Day's victory drew him level with Spieth with four tour wins in 2015.
    The 27-year-old also won the PGA Tour event at Torrey Pines in February and last month's Canadian Open before finally landing his maiden major at Whistling Straits two weeks ago.
    Playing his last 20 rounds in 73-under, Day is the hottest player on the planet and now the first Australian since Bruce Crampton in 1973 to win four US PGA Tour events in a season.
    If things continue to go his way in the final three tournaments, Day could even soar to world number one by year's end.
    Rory McIlroy regained top spot from Spieth on Sunday after the Masters and US Open champion missed his first cut in New Jersey.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-...ayoff-event-with-sizzling-final-round/6736620

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.