@Joannie - I have re-read your message again and remembered some...

1. 17,882 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 145
    @Joannie - I have re-read your message again and remembered some friends, older than myself and both dead now.
    They were immigrants, Germans from the former Northern Yugoslavia. Hardworking tough people.
    Husband was a builder, initially just a carpenter, but was prepared to take a small group of tradesmen into the out-back building structures for the Government, even built an entire shopping center, - living in tents for weeks on end etc. wife stayed home and did all the office work - they became wealthy.
    But they were into 'food' in a big way - she was an excellent pastry cook - he liked basic home-cooking even made sausages himself - after his wife died he wanted to marry me, I should have said yes, but I could not bear him for more than the 3-hour visits, he sometimes made here and told me his life's story, which I wrote down, too, for his family.
    At one stage, the 'club' we all belonged to had a custom of slaughtering a pig once a year and doing all the sausage-making etc. at the club premises.

What I am saying: they ate well, maybe too well, all their lives, husband got to be 90 (he died 3 weeks before his 90th birthday) - wife didn't get quite so old, because she was into baking, cakes,cookies, apples strudels, the lot - weekly - more for the festive season. They would even go and get their walnuts fresh from a tree, and shell enough to last them all year. They'd get 4-6 dozen eggs, when they came into the Hills (to an organic egg farm, where i still purchase my eggs) - but he would also make chicken soup and get the cheap carcasses, including chicken necks (where all the 'poisons' would be concentrated etc.) - nothing ever wrong with their stomachs, but the wife developed Diabetes - he died from some form of cancer which came on very suddenly - but essentially was only sick in the last year of his life. They did have a lot of fresh vegetables whilst her parents were still alive, who were excellent gardeners (and so were you!).

So; If you eat basic good food, most of it home-made, you should not worry too much about getting sick from your food.
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.