@Joannie what really surprised me when we first lived in Sydney,...

1. 18,124 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 168
    @Joannie what really surprised me when we first lived in Sydney, was, that some of the Jewish people we met (we lived in Rose Bay) and had been refugees, were always friendly - I remember one couple, husband Viennese, wife Polish - who often came round with their daughter who was the same age as my eldest. The wife was even there on the Sunday before I gave birth to youngest daughter - and wouldn't leave- eventually, when my water broke, she left. Being refugees they had met and married late in life - so they were about 20 years older than us.

Wife was a bit chubby and i remember her saying: 'at my age you have the choice between a fat behind and a smooth face or being skinny and wrinkled.'! I used to laugh, and now I am 'of the same sentiment' haha! The husband (who was even older than his wife) was always raving on about some great Austrian footballer he remembered - Matthias Sindelar.
    I even had an office job for a while in Sydney with Viennese jews, brothers who ran a company dealing in safety equipment (Protector Safety Equipment or similar) and were doing a roaring export/import trade, they were really kind to me, and the job paid well, unfortunately I had to leave because we decided to move to Western Australia.

Lots more stories - but my still best friend is a Hungarian lady (of a rather worldly Jewish belief) who lives in that country town I sometimes mention.
    When I call her now, I usually commiserate with her about what is going on between Israel and Hamas (Palestine) - I never have an opinion, as she, normally a very down-to-earth person, is traumatised by what is happening, and she is my friend, so I just let her talk.

Back to doing some office work . . . . yukkkk
    Have a nice weekend all
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.