I guess a lot of it depends on their attitude to money imo. If...

1. 11,339 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 674
    I guess a lot of it depends on their attitude to money imo. If they were brought up to work for extra money, that is a very good lesson.
    My 45 year old daughter, still harps on about the fact that I wouldn’t buy her a very expensive, plastic toy a la carte kitchen lol.

But I just couldn’t justify spending such a large amount of money on junk.
    I know I am very hippy and old fashioned, at times I was quite well off, but I wanted them to appreciate the value of money.
    I still frown sometimes, but try not to poke my nose in.

But my daughters are real grafters, of which I am proud.
    I have done everything in my power to persuade my lovely 17 year old granddaughter to become an antique dealer, we even watched all the antique shows together when she was very young. I bought a very elaborate vintage OTT Italian 180 piece cutlery set, silver plated for some unknown reason. She happened to be here when it was delivered.
    She was only 3, but was so entranced with it, she kept taking all the pieces in and out, she loved it so.

We occasionally used it for fun at Christmas and I was silly, because I told her that I would gift it to her on her 18th birthday, if she would like it.
    She was gutted that I told her, but also thrilled.

Wow I am going totally off topic. I would never give my kids a huge amount of money, just enough to help them to buy a house, modest hopefully.
    If you make it too easy for them, they can easily go off the rails.

I hope all this rubbish post helps you @Margaret63

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.