@AgAu trouble is, we cannot live our modern lives without...

1. 18,199 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 169
    @AgAu trouble is, we cannot live our modern lives without electricity. Maybe we shall have to concentrate on things like proper insulation for our homes and energy-efficient 'absolutely everything' beginning with heating (I am investigating infrared heating at the moment, and more insulation for my ceilings) - and also
    Cooking: For example I have discovered I can make a roast, big enough for up to 6 people (or 6 serves) in my small air fryer, which is shaped like a proper little 'oven' (with a glass front) and I also put a ceramic plate (broken, because a full one wouldn't fit) at the bottom for increased heat retention. I have also made a cake in there - the major advantage: it does not take as long to pre-heat the interior and the heat is more concentrated and retained than in the larger oven - hence I need to cover the top of whatever I am heating/cooking with alu foil - at least for a time.
    Coffee, tea, - I have simple equipment for that: just top of the stove gadgets, but stove is induction (glass top), which heats quickly and is economical in usage; you can also use an old-fashioned cast-iron grill pan on top of the glass top - looks incongruous (ancient tech with latest tech cool.png) but it works.

My dishwasher only gets used twice a week. Washing machine, set to minimum - no dryer (not needed in Australia).

heating of rooms is my major problem which costs money. I do have some rooftop solar cells though - will look into getting more.

Infrared: I do have a 'health-lamp' which is kept in my bedroom and I have discovered, if I leave it on just for a little while, it seems to give off a much cosier warmth (much like a wood fire) than any other heater - I am still working on costings for full-house heating by infrared, which seems to be a new technology in Australia, but is available.

I see a future where people produce and use their own electricity with solar and storage systems - but it will take a little time.
    P.S. my electricity bills went through the roof last year, but I hadn't realised that trees which were mere saplings when I moved in, had grown to shade my roof in winter - all fixed now - at a cost, of course.
    Go well
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.