Teachers are required to teach from a structured syllabus....

1. 28,449 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 423
    Teachers are required to teach from a structured syllabus. Certainly, this is the case in Victorian secondary schools. I do enjoy having adults cross the footpath to greet me, asking if I remember them. Always, the big smile and happiness to be able to recognise me, often after many years. Didn't mind learning that one of these ex-students then told his work colleagues that he was very naughty in school and his teachers didn't like him. Well, he got that right! But now a responsible adult with a job, a wife (also from that same Economics class and very lovely) and two children, whose photos he was anxious to display on his mobile phone. These are the rewards......

BUT. Public school teaching is a tough gig. No exaggeration at all.

I taught English when Principal had occasion to find out the Department did not hold all my university qualifications and that if I provided them with the missing ones, I could teach some English classes, otherwise ran the risk of being shunted off to another school in the system who had insufficient Commerce staff. Help! No thanks. Certainly, English teaching as opposed to Commerce teaching engaged me in a more creative way and with the younger children. It was fun for those last two or three years of teaching, but I was heading for the door and very happy to take the offer of a package should I voluntarily retire. I did this with many other teachers and Victoria was left with a young contingency of teachers with poor language skills. Now poor language skills are being passed on from generation to generation....goodbye English. No Greek and Latin understanding anywhere these days.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.