I remember a parent appearing before me on parent-teacher night,...

1. 28,487 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 423
    I remember a parent appearing before me on parent-teacher night, wearing his leather outfit, helmet tucked under an arm. I tell him Luke does no homework - ever, and nearly end-of-term. His bikie outfit scares me. His son used to be lovely kid but as he was getting older, he was becoming more difficult and less compliant. Bikie dad stands up to offer me abuse. He told me it was totally all my fault as Luke does his homework BUT YOU WON'T ALLOW HIM TO GO TO HIS LOCKER TO GET IT!!!
    I tell him, I think you are being mislead, as Luke has never ever asked to go out to his locker to get his homework.

Bikie dad storms off.

I am a wimp and just want to go home. Usually only the good kids' parents show up on parent/teacher nights, we complain. The rest don't want to hear what we have to say..... Still remember that bikie dad who scared me...although I did my best to explain honestly to him ........

Parents who threaten punishments should follow through if child fails to obey. I am guessing that you would do this. Kids are smart. They find our weaknesses and threats are useless unless there is follow-through.......

I hope you tell them you love them, regularly, and I am guessing you do. We are told we should be saying to the kids we disapprove of certain behaviour and dislike the behaviour, but you never stop loving these kids.

I remember one kid telling me what it was like in his home. His father greeted him, after school, in the kitchen with a knife or two and threw them at him, constantly. He came from a very dysfunctional home and has since suicided. When we had drill for the whole school for a fire, same kid went to wastepaper basket and threw a lighted match in it. He told me may as well have a real fire if we have to go outside for the fire drill. I rescued the burning bin but I didn't report him. I saw him very drunk (many years after school days) outside Young and Jacksons early one morning.....he came over to speak to me and told me more sad things in his life.......

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.